Internal Process "C"
Bid #: 2012-021
PEOPLE. That's the power behind ENMAX Corporation. As Alberta's leading energy and utility provider, our employees are driving us into the future with innovative ideas, a collective spirit to excel, and a commitment to upholding the highest level of integrity in all we do. Exploring new technologies, implementing shared values and creating solutions for a more sustainable future are some of the ways ENMAX is making a difference.
We know where we're going, want to come?
A Journeyman Powerline Technician at ENMAX has the opportunity to work in many challenging areas. Being a fully integrated utility, opportunities exist in the construction, commissioning and maintenance of overhead and underground facilities of Calgary's Electrical System, System Operations in ENMAX's Control Centre, Electrical Construction Planning, Light Rail Transit System (LRT), Street lighting, and Distribution Network System (downtown Calgary).
The utility industry is on the forefront of change. With our commitment to sustainable energy products and a powerful commitment to the environment & to our Customers - ENMAX will be the utility company for all others to follow.
Is this challenge for you? Imagine the possibilities.
At ENMAX, Safety is priority one. We strive to be "An injury free ENMAX" through improving our safety culture and safety management systems. People will never be put in a position where they must choose between safety and production.
At ENMAX we investment in our greatest resource - YOU! We believe that work-life balance is the key to both your success and ours. ENMAX encourages and supports the health and well-being of employees because a healthy lifestyle touches all aspects of our employees' lives.
As a Journeyman Powerline Technician (PLT) you will under direct supervision, perform activities related to the electrical construction, maintenance, repair or testing on energized and de-energized power lines, as required up to system voltage limits.
- Have skills in live line technique using rubber gloves on voltages up to, and including 25 kv
- Perform underground splicing and terminating
- Recognize, assess and control potentially hazardous situations in the work environment
- Function effectively as an integral part of a work group
- Work safely in all conditions
- Possess knowledge of Alberta Electrical Utility Code (A.E.U.C.)
- Possess knowledge of Industry standard safe working practices
- Install remove all types of electrical and communication cables through ENMAX Duct systems and Transformer vaults
- Terminate and maintain primary conductors, quick splice, H Splice, BLR's, reducing taps, etc.
- Terminate and maintain secondary conductors and installing limiters, fuse's, moles on a Network distributed Grid system (Energized or De-energized)
Qualifications & Experience:
- Qualified as Journeyman Powerline Technician (PLT) and be willing and able to obtain an interprovincial equivalency.
- General knowledge of the principles involved in the construction and maintenance of underground cable installations
- Experience in rubber glove live line work (Preference will be given to applicants with 25kv rubber glove experience as well as underground splicing and terminating)
- Knowledge of the Electrical and Communications Utility Systems (E.C.U.C.- Safety Codes Act) and Occupational Health and Safety rules and regulations as they pertain to the trade
- Knowledge of Industry standard safe working practices
- Willing to assist and train apprentices
- Ensures proper care and use of vehicles, equipment, and the worksite under your direction
- Works comfortably in underground confined space environments and adverse climate conditions
- Is able to communicate effectively to address customer concerns in a professional manner
- Has had exposure to high stress situations and the ability to manage stress effectively
- Possess a valid Provincial Class 5 driver's license and the ability to obtain a Province of Alberta Class 1 driver's license are essential
- Working knowledge of MS Windows, MS Office
The ideal candidate will possess the following critical competencies:
- Safety advocate
- High level of personal accountability
- Self motivated
- Good judgment in making decisions and generating solutions
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
Did we mention the ENMAX Advantage?
We offer competitive compensation including a comprehensive flexible benefits program, non-downtown location that includes great building amenities such as free onsite fitness facility with programming geared to employees needs, onsite child care centre (offered from our ENMAX Place location 141 - 50 Ave. SE), free parking and much more. If you share our values and would like to make a difference with your career, join the team and see where the ENMAX possibilities can take you.
$46.64 per hour based on January 1, 2012 rates (As outlined in the IBEW Collective Agreement)
ENMAX provodes relocation packages.
- Successful applicants may be assigned to shift work, including nights & weekend coverage
- Will be required to provide proof of qualifications, including a current drivers abstract
- Two professional references will be required
- This position requires the successful completion of a criminal background check and a pre-employment medical screen (including drug and alcohol testing).
- More than one position may be filled under this posting
Every ENMAX employee is responsible to take reasonable care to protect the health and safety of themselves, of all other workers, and of the public. Each employee must become familiar with safety procedures and rules applicable to their job and are required to follow them while working at ENMAX.