Hatch is an employee-owned, multidisciplinary professional services firm that delivers a comprehensive array of technical and strategic services, including Consulting, Information Technology, Engineering, Process Development, and Project and Construction Management to the Mining, Metallurgical, Energy, and Infrastructure sectors. Hatch has served clients for over 80 years and has project experience in more than 150 countries around the world. Established in Canada in 1955, we have grown to a team of more than 11,000 people in over 65 offices, the firm has more than $35 billion in projects currently under management.
Senior Transmission Line Engineer
This is an engineering design position within the T&D business Unit of Hatch. It provides an opportunity for professional growth to the selected individual within the engineering department by working on high voltage transmission projects in Canada and internationally. The selected candidate is expected to be fully qualified and capable of working independently for completion of transmission line engineering tasks, and capable of supervising small teams of civil/structural and electrical engineers in completion of transmission engineering assignments.
The Lines Engineer is required to work within a multi-disciplinary team to design efficient and reliable power transmission lines. The Lines Engineer will coordinate his/her design activities and those of their teams to maintain project schedules and ensure successful project completion. The Lines Engineer will also assist in preparation of estimates and project proposals.
This position is accountable to provide all design activities in accordance with all applicable codes and standards, including all of Hatch's policies and procedures, such as Safety, Environmental, Quality Assurance and Quality Control.
The Lines Engineer should have a good understanding of electrical power systems, line route selection and the theoretical and practical aspects of line layout and sag/tension considerations.
The candidate should have practical experience in:
- Experience in conceptual and detailed design of transmission lines at voltages of 230 kV AC and above; Experience in design of single-conductor and bundle-conductor applications, single-circuit and multiple-circuit configurations;
- Familiar with relevant Canadian and US national standards/codes (ANSI/IEEE and CSA), plus optional familiarity with international standards/codes such as IEC, BS, etc.;
- Transmission line route selection activities, integrating design, constructability and environmental considerations;
- Hands on experience in using engineering software applications including PLS-CAD. Experience with PLS-POLE, PLS-TOWER and CDEGS would be considered advantageous;
- In-depth experience in either electrical or civil/structural design aspects of transmission line design, and solid working knowledge in the design issues and solutions within the counterpart civil/structural or electrical engineering disciplines;
- Motivated, organized team player with leadership potential;
- Ability and experience in overseeing work of designers or CAD operators preparing design drawings. Maintaining the quality of deliverables and producing deliverables on schedule and within budget;
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritize work and be able to handle multiple projects with tight time lines;
- Familiar and up to date with new technologies & developments in transmission line design.
Qualifications for the positions include:
- A degree in Electrical Engineering from a recognized institution;
- Registration with APEGBC or other Canadian provincial engineering association (or demonstrated eligibility for registration);
- A minimum of 10 years experience of relevant experience in transmission line design;
- Knowledge of Canadian and provincial codes and standards, including H&S Regulations in one or more jurisdictions, CSA/ANSI preferred and IEEE and IEC standards is an asset.
Reporting to the T&D Regional Manager in the Vancouver, Calgary or Mississauga Offices of Hatch, the position requires a high level of interpersonal communication skills, as well as demonstrated design experience. Occasional travel to site locations is required.
To apply for this position please CLICK HERE