MANAGER, RECORDS AND INFORMATION MANAGEMENT
(Contract until March 2015)
Reference #: 101258
Reporting to the City Clerk and Director of Council & Administrative Services, this position is responsible for managing two programs:
1) Record and Information Management Program.
2) Access to Information and Personal Privacy Protection Program.
Manages activities of the records and information management (RIM) program for management of physical and electronic records, active and inactive, including implementation of an Electronic Document and Records Management Strategy (EDRMS), as well as compliance with all corporate policy and legal requirements for information access, retention and disposition.
Manages corporate program of providing public access to corporate records and protects the privacy, confidentiality and security of personal and propriety information in the development and delivery of corporate programs, projects and initiatives. This program is in compliance with the Municipal Act, 2001 and the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA).
1. Directional leadership. Champion, implement and maintain the City's EDRMS. Develop the broad goals and objectives for the RIM program, including an Information Management (IM) policy, Records Retention By-law, and associated records classification, retention, storage, disposition, destruction, access and security systems. Implement the program through a team-based approach, to ensure needs of internal and external stakeholders are met. Lead the City’s information access and privacy management program. Develop and monitor policies and procedures to adhere to legislation such as the Municipal Act, 2001, and MFIPPA, and other City policy and standards. Manage the active file system for the City Clerk’s Office.
2. Staff and contract management. Provide direct management of union and non-union staff. Ensure proper work scheduling and functional assignments to meet program requirements and customer service needs. Create and monitor work place standards for all roles. Ensure staff’s development needs are identified and that training and development opportunities are presented, while mitigating risk to project delivery and operational excellence. Make certain staff have information, training and qualifications to comply with all City Human Resource and legislated (i.e. Health & Safety) regulations. Recruits and provides coaching and performance evaluations for applicable staff. Manages external contracts related to the RIM program.
3. Compliance. Provide leadership to all activities related to the development, implementation, administration, maintenance and compliance practices and procedures for the EDRMS and information access and privacy management program. Monitor RIM program compliance and proactively addresses gaps. Maintain an accurate and efficient records retention schedule. Facilitate records management program governance audits and reviews. Guide departmental staff and project teams on all aspects of solution development and client-related requests and issues. Align activity to corporate and departmental strategic goals and objectives to meet or exceed customer specifications. Implement projects using a team-based approach, prioritizing initiatives, projects and responses within a framework based on solid policy, procedure, guidelines and criteria. . Monitor policies, procedures and standards to adhere to applicable law, regulations and City standards. Conduct audits and facilitates training to ensure compliance with RIM policy, procedure and records retention schedules. Help to educate and inform internal clients to manage expectations.
4. Integration and Communication. Proactively identify opportunities for EDRMS and information access and privacy management alignment, application and integration. Measure team and project performance (i.e. metrics, KPI’s, etc.), methods and practices against standard industry practices, especially related to government services in Canada. Support senior management with the identification and implementation of tracking/reporting the value of RIM initiatives in terms of business value, increased productivity, reduced risk and cost avoidance. Research and evaluate applicable emerging methods for RIM solutions. Prepare and coordinate regular communication of current and relevant program information including project progress reports, portfolio metrics, budget status, resource status and executive briefings for senior management and Council. Prepare and publish meaningful statistics, reports and other communications to staff, clients and key stakeholders.
5. Financial accountability. Assist in preparing the Divisional budget. Administer own area’s budget, monitor and control spending. Manage program procurements and administer service delivery contracts. Prepare regular financial reports and detailed cost benefit analysis for recommended changes. Reviews recommendations for externally-provided solutions and approves or denies acquisitions. Ensure contract payments are made on time.
6. Other City Clerk’s Office duties. Provide support and assistance, as required, for other functions of the City Clerk’s Office, including licensing and registrations. Perform various election duties in the municipal election, as required.
Bachelor's degree in Business, Public Administration, Library/Information Management or related field, or approved equivalent combination of education and experience and training;
Minimum of 5 years of experience in Records/Information Management field along with demonstrated leadership experience;
Knowledge of legislation related to RIM and information access and privacy management matters;
Demonstrated experience and knowledge of EDRMS solutions, and involvement in a solution deployment and operation an asset;
Strong knowledge of automated systems related to management and data configuration, databases and electronic records management functionality in document management and collaborative systems;
Strong knowledge of Microsoft SharePoint;
Experience establishing manual/automated records management programs with paper and electronic records;
Experience with record validation techniques, migration methodologies, and metadata standards;
Familiarity with Business Intelligence and Analytics requirements;
Advanced knowledge and experience with MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint);
Working knowledge of municipal government an asset;
Outstanding communication, project management and presentation skills to convey complex information to all levels of the company;
Strong analysis and problem solving capability;
Ability to travel as needed for seminars and meetings;
Involvement with ARMA and/or AIIM and other RIM related groups, a benefit.
Job status: Contract until March 2015
Job Type: Non union
Applications must be received by June 28, 2013
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online quoting reference #101258, by June 28, 2013, and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.