This position is within the Advanced Reservoir Quality Services (ARQS) oil and gas applied mineralogy group; a dynamic team responsible for the provision of mineralogical & geological analytical and consultancy services to the oil and gas industry. As such, the role requires, and is accountable for, the collection, processing, interpretation and reporting of high quality scientific data from analytical instrumentation such as QEMSCAN, XRD and SEM.
Excellent written and oral technical communication is essential in this role.
The global growth plans for the ARQS business unit may offer accelerated career advancement opportunities for candidates who demonstrate superior technical and business acumen during their time in this role.Reporting to
- Technical Manager, Oilfield Applied Mineralogy Specific responsibilities
- Data processing, validation and reporting of Oil & Gas focused mineralogical & lithological analytical and consultancy programs.
- Provide mineralogical and geological context to output from ARQS studies and "reality-check"-style Quality Control.
- Responsible for project management including on-time, in-scope, and on-budget technical delivery by:
- Processing and validation of mineralogical and associated data streams, including, but not restricted to: QEMSCAN, SEM, XRD, TOC, Geochem etc.
- Integration and interpretation of multiple data sources, including client-provided data such as wireline and background geological information.
- Technical report generation, including writing, compilation and collation.
- Peer review of colleague's mineralogical reports for technical content, readability and grammatical structure.
- Responsible for timely submission of invoicing requests for completed projects.
- Mentor Junior Mineralogist(s) and other technical staff within the ARQS team.
- Develop and maintain good business relationships with clients through identifying and addressing their needs in a timely fashion such as through the arrangement and lead of project kick-off meetings, proactive project management etc.
- Proactively participate in the technical marketing for the ARQS business; including (but not exclusively consisting) travel for conference attendance and participation.
- Liaise with clients to maintain and develop working relationships.
- Plan, organise and co-ordinate laboratory projects.
- Manage the activities against project budgets to achieve revenue and profit objectives.
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other technical staff and project managers.
- Ensures the proper use of all facilities, instruments and equipment used during a project.
- Develop new business opportunities through industry contact and research (eg. reading trade magazines, reviewing industry press releases etc).
- Develop proposals in collaboration with the Sales and Business Development Teams.
- Collaborate with the Sales and Business Development Teams to develop promotional material.
- Promote the capabilities, facilities, personnel and experience of SGS in Canada and elsewhere.
- Constructively resolve work problems where they arise and recommend work measures to improve productivity and the quality of results.
- Assist in the training of staff in job duties, safety procedures and company policies.
- Assist in creating a team approach and spirit whenever practical using available sources of knowledge and experience.
- Ensure that work is done in accordance with all appropriate health, safety and environmental procedures.
- Writes technical articles for public presentation or publishing, as required.
- Travel to other SGS locations, client sites and conferences will be required, on occasion.
- May be assigned and be required to coordinate special or ad hoc projects as needed.
- Assist the Technical Manager in the optimisation of existing, and the development of new, ARQS service offerings as market requirements change or are increased, as required.
Health, Safety & Environment
- Accountable for the Health, Safety and Environment of personnel and the enforcement of all regulations as per the Company Health and Safety Manual, and the immediate reporting of any health, safety or environmental incidents, accidents or concerns to the Manager/Supervisor and H&S department for action.
- Demonstrates good and safe work habits and enforces a clean working environment.Profile
SGS is the worlds leading inspection, verification, testing and Certification Company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With over 70'000 employees, SGS operates a network of more than 1,000 offices and laboratories around the world. In Canada, we presently have a staff of over 1,700 employees in more than 50 locations from coast-to-coast. We have the following opening based out of our offices in Burnaby, British Columbia:Skills
- A University degree in Mineralogy, Geology, Environmental Mineralogy or Earth Sciences is required; a Sedimentology / Petroleum Geology focus is preferred.
- At least 3 to 5 years work (or post graduate) experience in an oil and gas related field is required; 2 years or more experience of oil and gas focused mineralogy is advantageous.
- Experience in QEMSCAN and / or XRD data processing and consulting would be a strong asset.
- The ideal candidate will have experience in performing a wide-variety of microscope and instrument-based geological and mineralogical studies for oil and gas projects supported by X-ray diffraction, image analysis, electron microscope and QEMSCAN.
- A very high technical proficiency using various types of computer software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook etc.) is essential for this role.
- Previous experience in mentoring and training of junior / technical staff would be a strong asset.
- All business is conducted in English, and therefore a high level of proficiency in this language is required for both spoken and written communications.
- Must be able to read, understand and follow work instructions in a safe, accurate and timely manner.
- Proven ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects in a fast-paced, highly professional environment.
- Ability to work well with others & independently.
- Proven time management skills and a strong attention to detail.
- Works well under pressure.Additional information
For candidates who meet these pre-requisites, SGS offers a stimulating professional environment and a very competitive compensation package. The annual salary for this position will range from $75,000 - $100,000 depending on experience.
Our benefit package includes the following coverage: Dental, Vision, Health (including hospital), Drugs, Life Insurance, AD & D, Optional Life, LTD, Emergency Out of Province / Country, and EAP. We also provide a structured retirement savings program.
Please note that candidates applying for Canadian job openings must be authorized to work in Canada.
SGS is the World's Leading Inspection, Testing, Verification & Certification Company.
SGS Canada is an Employment Equity Employer