KPMG is a global network of professional services firms providing Audit, Tax and Advisory services, operating in 150 countries with over 138,000 people and with global revenues in 2010 of more than $20.6 billion.
It is a matrix organization and for each key area of Service Category, Industry sector or Infrastructure area, there is typically a separate Global, Regional and National Leadership structure.
KPMG International works at the global level and sets strategy, ensures global consistency and provides expertise to support member firms in the achievement of their business and Employer of Choice objectives. A decision to centralize many of the resources within KPMG International has led to the set-up of the Global Resource Centre in Toronto, which will focus on the provision of Global Marketing & Communications, Learning & Development, Risk, Finance and IT.
The purpose of the Global Advisory L&D team is to promote greater collaboration and consistency in learning and development efforts for Advisory professionals at the regional and member firm level, across all service lines in Advisory - bringing them together into one cohesive and integrated global advisory learning curriculum. The team will continuously strive to find the right balance between global consistency and the need to reflect local/cultural/service group differences on the journey to a more effective, efficient and consistent employee learning
KPMG Professionals Are...
Individuals who take deep personal accountability for their work, have a passion for excellence, driven to achieve their full potential and understand the value of building relationships with clients, future clients, their communities, the global firm and each other. A KPMG professional should have all the following characteristics:
- Strong work ethic
- Thrive on challenges
- Dedicated to providing outstanding client service.
This role is primarily responsible for the design, development, and innovative enhancement, of learning interventions, under the direction of the Senior Manager, Instructional Design, Global Advisory, Learning & Development, with an outcome of best-in-class, innovative learning, reflective of the global and technology savvy audience at KPMG.
The role requires expert knowledge of adult learning principles and theory, current and emerging learning trends (such as social and mobile learning) as well learning measurement and evaluation, including Kirkpatrick and other relevant ROI assessment models. There is a strong technology component to this position, with the role requiring in-depth skills working with rapid development tools, such as Adobe Presenter (preferred), Camtasia, Lectora, Captivate, and Articulate. Additionally, the role requires demonstrated experience with course design for a virtual classroom environment, including Adobe Connect and/or WebEx.
Role and Responsibilities
Learning project scoping
- Scoping project objectives, analyse expectations of target audiences, define learning objectives, describe tasks and activities
- Expert knowledge and application of adult learning principles and appropriate instructional design methods to the development of learning content
- Assist in designing and conducting client needs assessments and in preparing needs assessment reports
Design and development of learning content
- Develop detailed training design documents and prototypes
- Design and develop instructional materials, programs and processes for multiple learning delivery channels
- Rapidly redesign and reconfigure facilitator led training into interactive and innovative virtual classroom modules
- Write storyboards and edit learning and performance support interventions
- Augment and enhance existing flat learning content into dynamic and interactive pieces
- Advocate, when appropriate, the use of emerging technologies and new trends in instructional design, to increase the innovative quality of learning.
- Liaise with Subject Matter Professionals, as required, throughout the design and development process for content validation
- Ensure timely escalation of project issues to appropriate stakeholders
At times, business needs arise and employees are required and agree to work beyond their normal work day or work week to fulfill the accountabilities required for their job. Likewise, people need extra time to devote to personal matters, and our approach to flexibility provides for this.
Skills & Qualifications
- Minimum 5 years experience in a instructional designer role
- Bachelor of Arts Degree and equivalent work experience
- Formal Instructional Design or e-Learning certification/accreditation preferred
- Experience delivering end-to-end learning solutions using a rapid authoring tool, such as Adobe Presenter, Lectora, Captivate, etc.
- Demonstrated skills designing learning for virtual classroom
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task on initiatives varying in complexity and size
- Previous experience in a matrix-type organization
- In-depth knowledge of adult learning theory, instructional methodologies, technology-enabled design and learning methods
- Familiarity with emerging trends in learning and development, including social learning and mobile learning
- Experience in the design and development of learning for all main delivery methods: Virtual Classroom, Facilitated Classroom and eLearning
- Strong knowledge of web development processes
- Adobe Presenter (preferred) and/or Camtasia, Lectora, Captivate, and Articulate
- Advanced proficiency level with Microsoft Word, Project, PowerPoint and Excel
- Ability to act independently within defined objectives and direction
- Thoroughness and attention to detail
- Creative and innovative
- Strong project management skills
- CSTD or ASTD membership preferred