The Legal Administrative Assistant will provide administrative support to Corporate Counsel, as well as assist the Corporate Law Department (Investment Legal) with various administrative tasks and projects.
You will be accountable for:
- Transcribing documents and correspondence from written copy, direct dictation or dictaphone; format, revise, draft (from time-to-time), and proofread documents such as memos, legal agreements and reports using a variety of software applications.
- Managing file materials (including organization and creation of files), filing systems, document directories and updating eCounsel (comprehensive litigation tracking system). Ensuring that documents and information are accurate, organized, and accessible when required.
- Assisting the lawyer(s) in the organization of their work loads, including the anticipation of and preparation for projects and/or tasks, identification of procedures that could improve the effectiveness of daily operations, and managing many day-to-day matters for the lawyer(s).
- Handling incoming and outgoing mail in a timely manner; photocopy and fax documents; arrange meetings and facilities; and make travel arrangements for the lawyer(s); reconcile travel expense reports; register lawyers for seminars, webinars, etc.; quarterly reporting; pay invoices; track attendance for lawyers and self; Library filing when required; monitor and order supplies
- Audit committee meeting minutes
- Arrange payment of Canadian Bar Association and all provincial Law Societies annual fees for all of the department lawyers
- Reviewing, tracking and redirecting third party legal documents received by the companies to the appropriate client departments, identifying urgent and critical documents to ensure priority handling.
- Effectively working as part of a team of assistants by providing back-up, and assisting with various departmental administrative tasks and projects; maintaining courteous and professional relationships with others in the department as well as the clients served by the department; maintaining confidentiality; and demonstrating initiative in assisting the lawyers, as well as assisting in overall department tasks.
- Post secondary education in administration with 3-5 years related legal work experience.
- Demonstrate initiative, organize and manage the legal practice of Corporate Counsel.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills along with strong interpersonal skills.
- Experience dealing with highly sensitive and confidential information as part of daily duties.
- Good working knowledge and experience with software programs, such as word processing, Outlook and Excel spreadsheets.
- Well developed time management skills; handle the pressures of deadlines and fluctuating work volumes.
There’s more than meets the eye with our organization. We offer a challenging, team-oriented work environment, competitive income and benefits, and opportunities for professional and personal development and growth.
Discover your opportunity…
Apply with cover letter and resume before by Friday, March 7, 2014.
We’re an organization that cares for our customers, our staff and our communities. You can grow your career with us while giving, growing and connecting with the world around us.
Together Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life serve the financial security needs of 12 million people across Canada, with additional operations in Europe and the United States. As members of the Power Financial Corporation group of companies, we’re one of Canada’s leading insurers with interests in life insurance, health insurance, investment and retirement savings. We offer a broad portfolio of financial and benefit plan solutions for individuals, families, businesses and organizations.
We foster a culture where a wide range of professionals – in finance, accounting, general business and actuarial disciplines, for example – are learning, growing, and shaping their careers to achieve their personal and professional goals.
We are committed to employing a diverse workforce and encourage all qualified individuals to apply. Only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.