Located in the beautiful Niagara Peninsula and widely regarded as one of Canada’s most innovative and enterprising post-secondary institutions, Niagara College’s brand and reputation is built on a foundation of unparalleled student experiences, leading innovation and applied research, and operational excellence. Our vision of “Enriching lives and fulfilling dreams” embodies our passion and dedication to student success. Our mission, “Providing outstanding applied education and training for a changing world,” clearly links the top quality experiential education our students receive with the skills demanded in today’s (and tomorrow’s) rapidly changing economy. Our tagline, “Applied Dreams”, brings the vision and mission to life. Serving over 10,000 students, Niagara College has ranked #1 in student satisfaction among Ontario colleges for seven of the past eight years.
FIRST NATIONS, METIS AND INUIT STUDENT SERVICES
STUDENT SERVICES DIVISION
Applications are invited for full-time Aboriginal Counsellor for Niagara College's First Nations, Metis and Inuit Student Services (FNMISS) office. Based out of the Welland campus but serving all Niagara College campus locations, this position will commence March 2014.
Reporting to the Aboriginal Liaison and Recruitment Manager, duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the delivery of clinical mental health assessments, culturally sensitive counselling intervention, psycho-educational groups, workshops and talking circles, case management and learning strategies to our Aboriginal student population. Adhering to ethical standards and practices as well as relevant legislation; the Aboriginal Counsellor provides individualized personal counselling and resources that encourage student development and retention. The incumbent will also employ strong case management skills in order to identify, assess, assist and monitor students at risk; co-ordinates reasonable and appropriate academic accommodations in accordance with legislated requirements and college practises; consult regularly and works co-operatively with students, teaching faculty, staff and administration towards achieving College objectives; and works closely with the Counsellors to contribute positively within the Student Success Centre team. The Aboriginal Counsellor also facilitates culturally sensitive advocacy and linkages between Aboriginal services and the College community, as well as helps coordinate, and participates in, various student and recruitment events organized by FNMISS.
Required qualifications include:
- Masters level degree in Applied Psychology (Counselling, Rehabilitation) or Social Work. Registration with the College of Psychologists Ontario is an asset.
- A minimum of 5 years' employment experience delivering solution focused counselling, crisis intervention and case management services
- Proven expertise in assisting students with learning difficulties and providing accommodations for individuals with disabilities
- Demonstrated experience providing counselling/mental health/crisis services within a large multi-faceted institution
- Must have experience working with Aboriginal students or clients
- Must be familiar with, and sensitive to, the culture and customs of Aboriginal Peoples.
- Excellent written/oral communication, organizational, problem solving, analytical and teamwork skills
- Evidence of commitment to student success and academic excellence
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite applications (Power point, Excel, Word), experience with Blackboard and People Soft are assets
While transcripts/credentials are not required for the interview, they are mandatory prior to any offer of employment.
Closing Date: March 12, 2014 at 4.30pm
Cover Letters & Resumés quoting File No. 1N-14-101 should be addressed to the Recruitment Coordinator.
We thank all applicants but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Niagara College is committed to workplace diversity and provides accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout our hiring process. If you require an accommodation, please contact the Recruitment Coordinator.