At MMM Group, we are passionate about making a difference in communities through delivering innovative solutions that promote economic, social, and ecological viability. Our employees improve and transform neighbourhoods across Canada and around the world, delivering diverse and sustainable solutions that become a reality through their project contributions.
We are valued and trusted by our clients and partners because of our commitment to deliver outstanding work and customer service every single day. Our employees are the reason behind our success, and we strongly believe in providing the resources, opportunities, training, and guidance needed to help them reach their full potential.
Take the next step in your career and join a great employer – one that provides an exceptional and dynamic work environment that motivates, and encourages teamwork, initiative, and creativity. With us, you will have continuous opportunities for professional growth and development, along with the opportunity to work on award-winning projects alongside highly-respected individuals who are authorities in their fields; you will have an opportunity to make a difference.
MMM is currently seeking a Cost Estimator to join our Rail Group, to be based on a project site in the Greater Toronto Area. This position will be responsible for preparing various types of mechanical trade construction cost estimates for a Capital Works Program. Cost estimates will be required for complex mechanical services related to transit systems and industrial building applications for new construction and repair/renovation projects.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Preparing order-of-magnitude, conceptual, feasibility, pre-design, budget, value engineering, control, definitive and final Engineer’s estimates as well as major change order estimates;
- Estimating of mechanical systems involving subway station ventilation equipment, HVAC, building automation & controls, plumbing, hydronic systems & boilers, storm & sanitary drainage, utilities, fire protection, conveying equipment, service and maintenance equipment, pumps, storage tanks, compressed air, natural gas systems, etc.;
- Preparing cost breakdown documents for progress payments and detailed quantity surveys from analysis of contract drawings and specifications;
- Preparing basis of estimate documentation for inclusion into reports;
- Analyzing and reporting on cost breakdowns and price schedules submitted by contractors subsequent to tender closing;
- Preparing cost variance reports and explanations, tender comparisons, post bid analysis, cost reduction strategies and recommendations;
- Maintaining current construction cost data based on historical costs, market research and indices in the application of a computerized cost estimating system;
- Providing mechanical trade cost information to the Project Teams for inclusion into budgets, schedules and cash flows;
- Liaise with various E&C Branch management and staff, other Commission Branches, external agencies, consultants and suppliers to obtain facts and cost information pertinent to the performance of the estimating work;
- Reviewing and commenting on foreign cost estimates to ensure accuracy, comprehensiveness and consistency with the E&C Branch estimating guidelines and procedures;
- Maintaining files and records of work;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Senior experience in construction projects in an urban environment;
- Knowledge of construction management practices and principles, including familiarity with construction laws, contract administration and claims management;
- Understanding of Construction Lien Act, Occupational Health & Safety Act;
- Demonstrated experience in construction inspection, administration and documentation;
- Must possess sound judgment, management and highly developed organization, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills (report writing and presentation);
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Ideal candidates will have the qualifications, skills, knowledge and experience to perform the duties and responsibilities required for their respective discipline;
- Certification or membership in cost estimating organizations such as PQS, MRICS, CEC, & AACE is an asset;
- Some weekend off-shift and night work may be required;
- Please note that all offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
To learn more about this position, our firm and the projects we have been involved in, or to apply to this position, please visit our website: www.mmmgrouplimited.ca. Be sure to include a list of relevant projects that would be pertinent to this position. In an effort to reduce our environmental footprint, we strongly encourage applicants to submit their resume online.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. MMM Group is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates applying for this role must be legally able to work in Canada for any employer.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY