Strategic Business Analyst (SBA)
Located in Calgary and reporting to the Manager, the Strategic Business Analyst position is a senior role within the Information Services (IS) Department. This position will act as a key contact point between Alliance's other business departments and the IS organization regarding planning of information technology usage in the context of business needs. The position champions the technology planning efforts within an assigned area while ensuring alignment with enterprise-wide strategic objectives and standards.
The SBA develops and sustains strong trust-based relationships with the business unit(s) leaders. The role provides overall stewardship of business-driven IS work, including ensuring prioritization of requests/projects and business satisfaction with IS solutions delivered. They act as an advocate of IS projects and services with the business departments, including communication/consultation regarding corporate IS projects, awareness/education on IS service offerings, and informing about IS policies and practices (planning, financial, project management, security, architecture etc.).
This position ensures that business leadership is kept apprised of new technological developments appropriate to their area.
- Project/operational oversight that results in the timely, robust initiation and delivery of business-driven IS projects by:
- Conducting regular discussions with Business Leadership and IS Team Leads regarding new opportunities, business challenges and technology solutions.
- Capturing and assessing opportunities by conducting feasibility analyses, consulting Subject Matter Expert's (business and IS), determining business/technology value and cost-benefit, developing business process models, documenting findings/recommendations. This includes the building/overseeing of solid business cases for proposed solutions.
- During project planning, advise/coach Project Managers regarding business needs, organizational concerns, risks, etc.
- During project execution, provide advice, support and consultation to ensure project success.
- Relationship Management - Strong relationships between IS and Alliance business departments, enabling IS solution delivery, as well as business awareness and commitment to IS goals by:
- Establishing and developing effective business relationships between Business and IS staff that are cordial, professional and productive.
- Participating in the business unit's management activities and planning sessions.
- Ensuring business partners are aware of and buy into corporate IS initiatives that require their participation.
- Identifying areas in which improved organizational communication is needed and partner with other SBAs to implement those changes.
- Managing the business component of technology planning efforts for assigned area. Participating in all relevant planning activities. Developing an Information Technology plan for assigned area.
- Analyzing technology trends with respect to the business unit/domains value and helping to drive improvement.
- Demonstrating a positive, proactive attitude, with the ability to manage business change and the challenge of engaging business units and IT personnel collaboratively.
- Portfolio Management - Completing business solution "roadmaps" that describe medium and long-term plans for systems in each business area through:
- Defining (with Applications Architect) the "as is" and "to be" states for business solutions/applications.
- Completing "roadmaps" that describe medium (12 months) and long-term plans (3 years) for systems in each business area. Include the financial and resourcing implications and business justification for the proposed technology initiatives.
- The SBA is responsible for initiating and obtaining approval for business-driven IS projects.
- Post-secondary education (degree or diploma) in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field.
- Minimum of 12-15 years of related experience, including systems/application development and support, business systems analysis, and systems project leadership/management.
- Experience in a line management and/or customer relationship management role in an IS organization.
- Experience or knowledge of gas pipeline operations would be an asset.
- Experience with systems/application/business process modeling and solution architecture.
- Experience planning, managing and monitoring IS and/or business projects.
- Experience in the effective management of budget and prioritization planning and expectations with business partners.
- Knowledge of general IS processes/practices including SDLC, PMO, IS CSOx and ITIL.
- Working experience with SAP, SharePoint, Customer Relationship Management Solutions, corporate applications would be an asset.
- Business working experience with Information Management and would be an asset.
- Team oriented with demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision in a challenging/matrix environment.