At MMM Group, we are passionate about making a difference in communities through delivering innovative solutions that promote economic, social, and ecological viability. Our employees improve and transform neighbourhoods across Canada and around the world, delivering diverse and sustainable solutions that become a reality through their project contributions.
We are valued and trusted by our clients and partners because of our commitment to deliver outstanding work and customer service every single day. Our employees are the reason behind our success, and we strongly believe in providing the resources, opportunities, training, and guidance needed to help them reach their full potential.
Take the next step in your career and join a great employer – one that provides an exceptional and dynamic work environment that motivates, and encourages teamwork, initiative, and creativity. With us, you will have continuous opportunities for professional growth and development, along with the opportunity to work on award-winning projects alongside highly-respected individuals who are authorities in their fields; you will have an opportunity to make a difference.
MMM is currently seeking a full time Project Ecologist with a specialty in the aquatic discipline to join our Ecology Department, located at our Ottawa office. We are interested in top talent who possess a strong background in aquatic ecology. The successful incumbent will be provided with the opportunity to work on challenging and diverse projects with a wide range of complexity.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Identify a complex range of fish species and aquatic habitats.
- Plan, organize, collect and analyze of field work programs including conducting inventories, data organization and management;
- Undertake aquatic field investigations, including, but not limited to:
- Detailed aquatic habitat inventories using acceptable protocols;
- Fish community sampling using various methods (e.g. backpack electroshocking, seine net, etc.) and identification;
- Benthic macroinvertebrate sampling and identification;
- Targeted Species at Risk surveys and assessments.
- Demonstrated experience in field sampling techniques and protocols to inventory and assess aquatic systems with an emphasis on interrelationships between the physical and biological environments;
- Working with municipal, provincial and federal legislation related to protection of aquatic environment features and functions as well as overall environmental policies;
- Contribute to environmental assessments, environmental impact studies and monitoring;
- Contribute to the preparation of project proposals and assist with marketing initiatives;
- Perform aerial photography interpretation.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology or Ecology with a strong background in field biology.
- 5-8 years’ experience working in a consulting firm in an Ecologist role or equivalent.
- Experience working on transportation projects and the MTO/DFO/OMNR Protocol is an asset.
- Experience undertaking impact assessments, developing mitigation measures and compensation plans.
- Excellent report writing, presentation and research skills and be able to work in a team environment.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to interact with senior level staff and clients.
- Experience with MS Word and Excel is a minimum requirement.
- Please note that all offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
To learn more about this position, our firm and the projects we have been involved in, or to apply to this position, please visit our website: www.mmm.ca. Be sure to include a list of relevant projects that would be pertinent to this position. In an effort to reduce our environmental footprint, we strongly encourage applicants to submit their resume online.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. MMM Group is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates applying for this role must be legally able to work in Canada for any employer.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY