ACADEMIC UPGRADING INSTRUCTOR
FACULTY OF FOUNDATIONAL CAREER AND INTERCULTURAL STUDIES
NorQuest College helps students unlock their potential and realize their dreams. We are Challenge Positive and embrace every situation as an opportunity. As the Edmonton region’s community college serving 8,500 students annually, we play an integral role in Alberta’s education system. NorQuest College offers a vibrant, inclusive, diverse and student-centred learning environment that transforms lives and strengthens communities. We are nationally recognized leaders in health, community studies and business post-secondary career programs, as well as foundational, intercultural and language training. We are proud to offer our employees meaningful work, competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits program and a commitment to a positive work/life balance. This is an exciting time to be a part of NorQuest College. Take a step forward with us. Together, we can help build and sustain a strong province for future generations.
Reporting to the Program Manager of Correctional Education, the academic upgrading instructor will work out of the Edmonton Remand Centre supporting the educational needs of the remanded inmates. This role is responsible for delivering a range of academic upgrading courses at both Fort Saskatchewan Correctional Centre and the Edmonton Remand Centre (ERC). The instructor will deliver academic upgrading in a mixed level group class or in a self study tutoring model on the inmate living units. The instructor is responsible for setting up, teaching, and facilitating individual programs of instruction for incarcerated students needing upgrading. These students range from an adult basic education profile to a high school credit level and the academic upgrading instructor may facilitate post secondary studies in some cases. There may be opportunities for instructors to cover off the personal development instructors as well.
- Undergraduate degree in Education
- Valid Alberta Teacher’s certification
- Strong curriculum knowledge and a proven ability to multi task
- Masters degree in adult education, correctional education, aboriginal studies or educational leadership would be an asset
- Demonstrated experience and training in Adult Education
- Experience working in a maximum or medium security environment preferred
- One year minimum teaching experience with highly developed classroom management and interpersonal skills
- Strong motivation to work with a challenging population
- Strong capability to work demonstrating high professional standards with students of varying levels of academic ability and within a very diverse group
- Keen awareness and appreciation of demands of a secure environment
- Strong demonstrated ability to role model and mentor positive styles of behavior and social interaction
- Solid presentation and educational technology skills
- Ability to work cooperatively with other stakeholders in a correctional setting
- Teaching academic upgrading course programming
- Revising and updating curriculum for delivery in corrections
- Fulfilling a liaison role with Solicitor General operational and correctional staff, particularly on student movement and prospective students
- Provide education liaison counsel services for remanded inmates
- Evaluating of programming outcomes, including documenting and communicating feedback to the Team Leader and Program Manager
- Completing student evaluations for both NorQuest College and Solicitor General reporting requirements
- Advising students on academic and educational paths Liaison with caseworkers, Alberta Health Services, and post secondary institutions for post-release
- Administration of GED and Diploma examinations
- Rigorously respecting all conditions of the secure environment at correctional facilities sites
- Committee work as assigned, ie) Solicitor General, Occupational Health, Wellness, multidisciplinary
SALARY: Commensurate with education and experience. This opportunity also includes immediate participation in our comprehensive pension and benefits plans.
NOTE: This is a one year term position until June 30, 2015 with a strong possibility of renewal.
Our Instructors enjoy extended health care benefits, participation in our pension program, opportunities for growth and development, 3.4 vacation days/month, extended Christmas break and many other benefits.
COMPETITION NUMBER: T9041-4-2014
CLOSING DATE: Open until suitable candidate selected.
TO APPLY: If you meet the requirements of this position and wish to apply please continue with this online process by uploading your resume.