Manulife Financial's Institutional business unit is a leading provider of retirement savings plans, employee benefit programs, and insurance solutions for Canadian groups including businesses; professional, alumni and retiree associations; financial institutions; retailers and other organizations. An industry leader in electronic service and transactions, the Institutional business unit provides a broad range of coverage including health and dental care, travel insurance, registered retirement savings and pensions, short- and long-term disability coverage, employee share ownership programs, flexible benefits plans, absence management solutions, defined contribution plans, deferred profit sharing, life and critical illness insurance, accidental death and dismemberment coverage plus wellness solutions.
Institutional IS (IIS) is the IS organization supporting Manulife's Institutional business. Through the efforts of a consistently high performing team, concepts are transformed into plans and realities every day. We are looking for experienced, enthusiastic professionals to join our team.
IIS is looking for a Lead Developer within the Strategic Projects team. This team is responsible for implementing new technical solutions / applications and major changes to our existing systems. The team works in a matrix environment.
Your responsibilities will include technical leadership for projects and; ensuring deliverables are produced on time, within budget and quality targets, communicating with business and systems personnel to effectively understand business requirements and to develop solutions.
To be successful in this role, you must possess strong communications and influencing skills, have a Developer background in Client / Server or Web based applications and have demonstrated success delivering enhancements for complex N-tier applications. Your success in this role will hinge on your technical skills and your ability to leverage a natural and successful aptitude for leadership and coordination of technical resources. This position provides an environment for continued development of technical subject matter expertise and IS leadership management development.
- Develop high level design documents
- Coordinate and lead technical tasks delivered by in-house and offshore Developer
- Communicate with Business Systems Analysts to define system requirements and develop solutions.
- Use tools and methods such as proof-of-concept to assess alternate solutions to help ensure the team proceeds with the right solutions
- Develop and modify application components across disparate platforms and technologies
- Ensure comprehensive and appropriate documentation at all stages, within an assignment
- Conduct development life cycle reviews as required, driving IIS best practices (e.g. design, documentation, quality)
- Support test phases executed by Business Systems Analysts, systems testers and business partners
- Apply technical and business knowledge to identify, analyze and solve problems
- Develop, review and validate team schedules and estimates
- Provide guidance to all members of the Developer team, including onshore and offshore vendor partners regarding all aspects of Developer work in Institutional IS
- Integrate vendor solutions and interfaces for medium to highly complex situations
- Collaborate with geographically and culturally diverse cross-functional teams
- Provide technical expertise and support where required
- Contribute to continuous improvements of departmental best practices
- Provide technical leadership and consulting support for large implementations
- Provide off hours systems support