PATIENT CARE SPECIALIST - INTEGRATED STROKE UNIT
Status: Temporary Full Time
File Number: UN.EX.- 1400000442
Wage Schedule: $46.971 - $51.173 per hour
Program: Integrated Stroke Unit
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Patient Care Specialist for the Integrated Stroke Unit reports to the Director, PASS Program. The successful candidate will hold a management role responsible for: creating supportive learning opportunities in an environment that facilitates growth and development of unit staff to ensure continual improvement in clinical practice and quality of patient care; developing/designing/planning and delivering/providing educational programs/activities which will facilitate the development of the nursing and clinical team; working in partnership with members of the health care team, patient, families, to facilitate excellence in the delivery and provision of comprehensive stroke care.
In collaboration with care team members, participates in the design, implementation, monitoring, revising and management of patient care and unit processes and procedures to ensure smooth operation of the patient care unit using in depth knowledge of patient care delivery systems based on Standards of Practice including but not limited to Family Centred Care, RNAO Best Practice Guidelines, Clinical Pathways, Medical Directives and Hospital Policies. The Patient Care Specialist will have expert knowledge of both acute and rehabilitation stroke best practices and working closely with the Durham District Stroke Centre will help to create seamless transitions and equitable access to stroke care across Lakeridge Health.
Working with the Patient Care Manager of the unit and other departments, the Patient Care Specialist will ensure appropriate systems and resources are in place to support timely and appropriate patient flow and smooth transition and coordination of patient services across the continuum of care. The Patient Care Specialist, in partnership with the Patient Care Manager, will be responsible for the human resource management of the unit and will assume the management of the unit in the absence of the Patient Care Manager.
• Baccalaureate degree in nursing (Masters preferred);
• current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario;
• current B.C.L.S.;
• proven significant recent clinical experience;
• knowledge of stroke and stroke best practice;
• knowledge of the principles of adult education and teaching/learning principles;
• knowledge of hospital nursing functions and current trends in nursing and health care;
• knowledge of relevant legislation, standards, related best practice guidelines;
• demonstrated effective assessment, implementation and evaluation skills;
• proven planning, organizational, prioritization, and project management skills and ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously;
• strong leadership skills and an accomplished changed agent;
• demonstrated effective written & verbal communication skills;
• demonstrated critical-thinking and problem solving skills;
• demonstrated understanding of and commitment to Lakeridge Health's comprehensive safety programs and practices including staff, patient and environmental safety and participation in regular in-service education in this area; and
• proven attendance with the capability of maintaining this same standard.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
The terms and conditions of employment are in accordance with the Corporation's policies and procedures.
Lakeridge Health thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
If you are qualified for the above position, please apply online:
**Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the recruitment and assessment process as required under Lakeridge Health’s Employment Accommodation policy. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.