The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Administrative Coordinator with the Wastewater Services Department. Reporting to the General Manager, this position will perform a variety of highly responsible, confidential and complex administrative duties primarily in support of the General Manager but also in support of the Department’s management team. The successful candidate will have excellent organizational skills with a focus on quality customer service and continuous improvement processes. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph strategic plan and committed to the corporate values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the community vision - to be the City that makes a difference.
• Provide routine administrative support to the General Manager of Wastewater Services including the handling of sensitive and confidential matters.
• Effectively manage the General Manager’s schedule and activities.
• Receive and organize communications to the General Manager including telephone calls, mail, and e-mail messages, and provide assistance using independent judgment and/or consult to determine those requiring priority attention.
• Coordinate meetings with community stakeholder groups, occasionally engage in preliminary discussions with stakeholders to clarify issues to determine priority and the required level of General Manager Involvement.
• Provide support for the corporate related departmental activities e.g. annual reports, budget process and reporting activities, health and safety related work and other reports etc.
• Independently and appropriately direct internal/public request for departmental service.
• Anticipate, identify and manage emerging issues and challenges.
• Recommend organizational or procedural changes affecting Department and administrative activities.
• Attend meetings, transcribe and distribute minutes and follow up on actions assigned to staff, as required.
• Provide leadership, supervision, work direction, feedback and training to administration and clerical staff.
• Ensure that adequate support for business continuity with full administration and clerical support.
• Ensure the archiving of documents, facility drawings and files in electronic format.
• Provide clerical support (e.g. word processing, Excel, power point, data entry, distribution of information, & record keeping).
• Responsible for preparing SOP’s etc.
• Research, review, develop, implement and monitor best practices, policies, and procedures to optimize administration, including the areas of information management and organizational practice.
• Coordinate Wastewater budget preparation and variance tracking and analysis, including related activity monitoring, and coordinate related recommendations for changes to programs.
• Develop and manage the administrative and customer awareness components of the Wastewater budget.
• Manage the provision of administrative customer service; provide support for resolving difficult customer and complex customer service issues.
• Assist the management team with the preparation of reports, presentations, and resource materials.
• Assist in the composition and preparation of media relations material.
• Support the documentation required for Safety, QMS and EMS processes.
• Make necessary arrangements for the Departments engagement events and other sessions.
• Complete special projects and other duties as assigned.
• Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a degree or diploma in Business Administration, Office Administration or closely related discipline and experience in performing customer service, research, financial analysis and administrative support to a senior manager in a private or public sector organization. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
• Experience motivating, training, and leading staff in a service oriented, politically sensitive environment.
• Excellent organizational and problem solving skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities in a demanding environment.
• A team player with excellent interpersonal skills.
• Excellent communications skills (both oral and written) with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders and the general public.
• Ability to prepare of financial reports and supporting the budget process and other City initiatives.
• Ability to prepare of SOP’s, reports and presentations.
• Advanced Microsoft Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
• Flexible, adaptable with the ability to work efficiently, independently and with minimal supervision.
• Must demonstrate respect for highly confidential and sensitive issues and information.
• Experience with Kronos, J.D. Edwards and WAM would be an asset.
• Municipal or public sector experience would be an asset.
$56,354.41-$70,443.02 per year
How to Apply:
Applications must be received online by July 17, 2014. To apply for this position, please visit http://guelph.ca/employment-careers/ for further detailed instructions. Please follow the instructions and follow all steps to the process. In order to be considered for this position you must complete all of the steps when creating your profile. This will include a short online screening questionnaire specific to this position as part of the application process. You will also need to attach both your cover letter and resume saved as one document (PDF format preferred). If you have already created a profile, you may simply login to begin your application.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.