About Black & McDonald
In 1921, William J. McDonald and William R. Black formed Black
& McDonald Limited, a partnership to engage in residential wiring.
Throughout the years, Black & McDonald has remained a family owned
business with an uncompromising commitment to the founder's
principles of delivery as promised and fairness to all.
For over 90 years, the company has followed a planned course of
diversification and expansion, combining growth and financial stability
with ongoing investment in our people, and a willingness to pioneer new business opportunities and directions.
Black & McDonald remains a privately owned Canadian company, an
integrated, multi-trade prime contractor serving government, institutions, industry and commerce across Canada, the US and overseas. The company has over 4,000 employees working out of a network of more than 25 offices.
Services now range from multi-million dollar construction projects to
extensive facility management and operations contracts, to planned
maintenance agreements and emergency services.
Known as a reliable and flexible contractor, Black & McDonald operates with integrity and loyalty to our employees, customers, suppliers, and the communities we serve.
We will remain an innovative leader in our evolving domestic and global markets - proud of our past, advanced in our capabilities, and driven to deserve our reputation.
The Northern Ontario Region is actively seeking a Utility Manager located in Ottawa, Ontario. The Utility Division Manager will provide superior leadership and management to the division in accordance with company beliefs, policies, procedures, and objecties. Reporting to the Regional Vice President, he/she will be responsible for the divisional operations in its totality including safety compliance, people and resources, estimating, sales, project execution, profit/loss outcomes, and the overal conduct of Black & McDonald Limited’s performance within the region as it relates to the Utility Division.
- Provide leadership to the employees of the Utility Division
- Ensure compliance with provincial, client and company occupational health, safety and environmental regulations; adherence to achieve zero loss time injuries in every workplace
- Implement and review annual marketing and business plans
- Meet budget requirements relating to cash flow, WIP, and net assets
- Ensure adequate controls are in place and reviewed for diligence in relation to estimating, tendering, purchasing, subcontracting and accounting
- Produce and review weekly reports for man hours and labour productivity
- Support the HR process and philosophy which encourages our people to perform to their maximum potential
- Foster a climate within the division of cooperation and enthusiasm
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with customers and prospective customers
- Develop and implement quality control programs
- Establish project objectives, policies, procedures and performance standards within boundaries of company policies and contract specifications
- A University Degree in Electrical or Civil Engineering or equivalent trade experience
- A minimum of ten years of experience in utility operations and estimating
- A minimum of five years of management experience in a unionized environment
- Strong communication, negotiation, and problem solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- High degree of professionalism and integrity
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to read and comprehend applicable financial statements
- Ability to travel within Canada
- Bilingualism would be considered a strong asset
- In certain cases, extensive experience in the utility industry may substitute for post-secondary education requirements