Thorek/Scott and Partners (TSP) has been connecting accomplished organizations with talented individuals for almost four decades. At TSP, our track record of successfully completing challenging searches across the professional spectrum has earned us an exceptional reputation at the forefront of the recruitment industry. Our Canadian and International clients include: global banks and non-bank financial institutions, private equity and investment funds, professional service firms, and entrepreneurial businesses across a variety of industries. We value the human connection and distinguish ourselves through an unwavering dedication to understanding the goals and motivations of our clients and candidates alike.
Director, Regulatory Reporting and Financial Project Management
Our Client, a Canadian Bank, is seeking an innovative and strategic Director, Regulatory Reporting and Financial Project Management to lead that function within their finance team. Reporting to the VP, Finance this individual will bring leadership to the regulatory function and have accountability for all regulatory and compliance management and reporting matters to the Bank’s regulators and other relevant agencies. Managing a team, this role will also drive, own and implement numerous high visibility projects – including end-to-end process initiatives - undertaken by Finance as well as Bank-wide programs involving the Finance group.
This is exciting opportunity for a leader with strong OSFI relationships and a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in financial and/or regulatory reporting in a financial institution or public accounting firm supporting financial institution clients to affect significant change and put their mark of ownership on this area in expanding and complex environment. OSFI and CDIC reporting experience supplemented by solid excel skills and detailed understanding of regulatory and accounting standards, reporting instructions and guidelines is essential. Experience in project management and strong interpersonal skills an asset.
- Establish and oversee the regulatory compliance function for the Finance Department
- Manage compliance interactions with regulatory agencies, including reviews, audits and other communications;
- Establish and maintain a comprehensive understanding of the business and its accounting policies, including interrelationships and interdependencies that exist amongst different accounts/line items/reports;
- Monitor the regulatory environment to identify new requirements or changes, evaluate the applicability to the Bank and then modify or establish new data sources/systems/processes to accommodate and comply with the reporting requirements that are clear and concise
- Advise on regulatory reporting matters relating to new strategic initiatives, products and other business activities;
- Maintain a standard reporting process within the Finance group for the reporting and ongoing management of compliance issues;
- Manage reporting channels for compliance and operational risk matters, including routine reporting, as directed or requested, to keep senior management informed about compliance and operational risk issues as well as the operation and progress of compliance efforts within the department;
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships across the organization and develop communication channels with other groups to help facilitate the coordination of timely collection of accurate and complete financial information for regulatory reporting;
- Provide regulatory compliance guidance, including establishing and maintaining well documented policies and procedures;
- Maintain effective internal controls over the regulatory reporting and compliance function;
- Reconcile reported amounts to the financial statements/general ledger/source system/third party schedules and other relevant reports and evaluate data sources for accuracy, reasonability and appropriateness;
- Aid in senior management decision making process by performing sensitivity analysis/stress testing/scenario analysis on how various ratios and scores will work under different assumptions;
- Identify opportunities for process improvement. Assess current technology solutions for data gathering and management and automate/streamline regulatory reports to drive efficiencies in reporting;
- Effectively manage, develop, mentor and retain staff in the regulatory reporting group;
- Assist VP, Finance with the prioritization and allocation of resources for various Finance related initiatives;
- Oversee the development of a comprehensive inventory list of Finance processes and document process maps, by utilizing and working closely with the Bank’s Business Process Improvement (BPI) resources;
- Assess current processes for controls; efficiency and operating effectiveness and develop and execute process improvement plans;
- Facilitate cross-functional process improvement engagements;
- Provide project execution support for Bank-wide initiatives.
- CA, CGA or CMA designation
- Exceptionally strong knowledge of IFRS accounting and reporting standards for financial instruments and derivatives
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in financial and/or regulatory reporting in a financial institution or public accounting firm experience with financial institution clients;
- OSFI and CDIC reporting experience
- Strong technical aptitude, with ability to understand regulatory and accounting standards, reporting instructions and guidelines
- Experience in project management and strong knowledge of project methodology an asset
- Proven professional with strong leadership skills. The ability to work independently, influence and engage across the organization;
- Strong Excel abilities augmented by excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate clearly and concisely
Should your skills and experience match the requirements of this position, please forward your resume to Lauren Thorek at Thorek/Scott and Partners.
APPLY TO: firstname.lastname@example.org
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence.
We regret that only qualified candidates will be contacted.
If you’re not interested, but know someone who is, please help a current or former colleague in their career development by referring them.