POSITION: Pastry Chef
HOTEL: Delta Toronto at Southcore Financial Centre
LOCATION: Downtown Toronto
REPORTS TO: Executive Chef
DIRECT REPORTS: Kitchen & Pastry Colleagues
About Delta Toronto:
Located in the heart of Toronto's new Southcore neighbourhood, Delta Toronto will connect people with the financial and entertainment districts through direct access to the PATH, Union Station and Metro Toronto Convention Centre. The hotel will also act as a stepping stone to neighbouring cultural and sporting events, attractions and a revitalized waterfront.
Delta Hotels and Resorts is in the midst of a major transformation to better serve Canadian and international travelers. Designed to exceed the evolving expectations of the modern traveler, Delta Toronto will serve as the flagship for Delta's growing portfolio of hotels and resorts across Canada. The Delta Toronto is scheduled to open late November 2014.
Most importantly, the successful candidate will demonstrate Delta's Values in all aspects of their job. These include:
- We are one team.
- We respect each other.
- We always act with integrity.
- We are passionate about what we do.
- We are active leaders in our local communities.
The primary responsibility of the Pastry Chef is to lead the management of the Pastry Kitchen.
This position requires exceptional creativity in pastry and baking, strong communication skills and a collaborative approach with fellow culinary leaders and department colleagues.
The Pastry Chef's responsibilities also include:
- Ensuring production requirements are met for cakes, pastries and all other dessert and bake shop items.
- Development of signature desserts for the restaurant and special functions.
- Working with the Executive Chef to seek opportunities to increase food revenues.
- Ensuring adherence to Delta Hotels and Resorts Brand Standards, which includes, but is not limited to MenuE (as it relates to pastry), Ecosure and food costs etc.
- Effective management of the Pastry department to ensure the achievement of our vision, our financial and service goals.
- Supporting the Executive Chef and Executive Sous Chef in establishing and fostering all partner relations that contribute to the success of the hotels food & beverage operations.
- Supporting the development of culinary colleagues and apprentices, which includes but is not limited to performance development reviews, competitions, and skill/knowledge development.
- Assisting the Executive Chef with the recruitment, training and development of colleagues, with a strong focus on creativity, engagement, productivity and elevated guest experience.
- Foster a coaching culture that encourages colleagues to achieve personal and professional success.
- Experience as a Pastry Chef, Assistant Pastry Chef in a large hotel/operation.
- Minimum of 5 years well-rounded pastry and baking experience.
- Valid trade qualifications required.
- Proven ability as an effective leader, possessing a high degree of professionalism, sound human resources and administrative skills.
- Results oriented with the ability to be flexible and work well in a busy and demanding environment.
- Proven experience building positive and collaborative teams who are focused on providing exceptional guest experiences.
- Must be energetic, enthusiastic and self-motivated.
- Must be legally authorized to work in Canada. Please note that the hotel is unable to assist candidates in obtaining Canadian work authorization.
This position requires a highly motivated, energetic, super organized hands-on professional with exceptionally strong leadership and collaboration skills who can guide and motivate colleagues, as well as consult and influence internal and external partners and collaborate with cross-functional teams. The Pastry Chef must have strong communication and presentation skills with the ability to interact with a diverse group of executives, managers and subject matter experts. Key interpersonal skills required include listening, advocating, negotiating and communicating straightforward and complex information. The position requires professional level interpersonal skills to interact and communicate effectively with stakeholders from different origins and cultures
The following competencies will be critical to the success of the Pastry Chef role:
- Decision Maker - Results Orientation: Exhibits a decisive approach with a determined focus on objectives and achieving results. Demonstrates a clear sense of urgency.
- Business Acumen: Must possess a proven strategic understanding of culinary operations as it relates to the overall financial success of the property. Demonstrated ability to assess current situations in the context of the business opportunities and threats, and has a track record of developing and evaluating options against anticipated trends in order to reshape the business.
- Leadership: Is able to lead and/or influence others in order to have a specific impact or effect. Builds trusting relationships with key stakeholders inside and outside of the Company.
- Strategic Planning, Analysis and Implementation: In collaboration with senior management, develops short-term tactical and longer-term strategic plans that create the necessary business platforms, systems and innovative brand products to better enable the entity by deploying high, efficient performance standards and meet company objectives of its brand essence.
- Proven Negotiator: Demonstrated ability to negotiate favorable agreements, pragmatically assessing alternatives and trade-offs to reach agreements that all parties believe address their needs.
- Effective Communicator: Is an effective communicator in all mediums to all types of audiences ensuring that he/she gets their message across to the audience with a high level of understanding. As an effective communicator, will have distilled complex issues to their essence and articulated a compelling case in support of the required decisions.
- Managerial Courage: Has the courage to make tough decisions and has the self-confidence to take 'unpopular' decisions to the top when it is in the best interests of the business.
About Delta Hotels and Resorts
A leading Canadian hotel management company, Delta Hotels and Resorts owns, operates and franchises a diversified portfolio with 46 full-service, city centre and airport hotels and resorts under the Delta brand. Widely regarded as Canada's "brand of choice" by guests and owners, Delta also distinguishes itself as an exemplary employer. It is the only hotel company to have been recognized for its sustained focus on business excellence by the prestigious National Quality Institute with three Canada Awards for Excellence, including the award program's highest honor, the Order of Excellence (2007). The company has also consistently ranked as one of the country's 50 Best Employers for 11 years, and has been named to the Green 30 since 2010. Its Corporate Social Responsibility platform, Delta Helps, includes a chain-wide commitment to the communities it serves through a national partnership with Habitat for Humanity Canada, participation in the Hotel Association of Canada's Green Key Eco-Rating program, and work with various other charitable groups.