Position Title: Health and Safety Advisor
Working Location: Canada - Mississauga, ON
Employment Status: Full time
Required Experience: Not Indicated
Required Education: Not Indicated
Travel Required: 0%
- Assist with the development and implementation of forward thinking environmental, health and safety (EHS) improvement programmes to deliver year on year reductions in both workplace injuries and environmental incidents.
- Provide expert knowledge and skills in order to generate and promote a positive health and safety culture and achieve our zero accident goal.
- Ensure that EHS legislation is adhered to and policies and practices are adopted by implementing and maintaining Site programs.
- Maintain an effective behavioural based safety program through campaigns, near miss reporting program and coaching.
- Develop and implement site EHS policies, programs, objectives, key performance indicators and targets that reflect local needs and alignment with GSK’s long term EHS strategy.
- Support the Site’s Management of Change Program by providing input, reviewing, approving and recommending changes that have an EHS impact.
- Execute the EHS audit programme to schedule to ensure effective implementation of EHS programmes.
- Ensure the corrective actions arising from the EHS audits are implemented in a timely manner.
- Coordinate the completion of job safety analysis and risk assessments and offer expert advice and assist in hazard identification, elimintation and risk reduction.
- Provide timely, high quality EHS technical support to the Site.
- Lead, review and track investigations of injuries, illnesses, non-injury accidents and near-misses to ensure that they are effective, and that they identify and resolve root causes.
- Provide EHS training to employees as required to support ongoing compliance or improvement programmes.
- Track EHS performance and initiate action to support or correct trends.
- B.Sc. in Occupational Health & Safety or related Discipline.
- Certification as Safety Professional (CRSP – Canadian Registered Safety Professional or CSP – Certified Safety Professional).
- A minimum of 5 years experience in health and safety in a manufacturing setting.
- This role requires technical expertise on health and safety disciplines, including but not limited to:
- Risk Assessments, Job Safety Analysis and Permit to Work Systems
- Behavioural based safety programs
- Lifting, working at heights and confined space
- Warehousing safety
- Construction safety
- Machinery safety and Lock-out / Tag-out
- Chemical Handling
- Laboratory Safety
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Fire & building codes
- Strong problem solving skills and practical solution development.
- Must be persuasive as change agents, with the ability to prioritize multiple demands, think strategically and successfully lead simultaneous projects.
- In depth knowledge of local, provincial and federal legislation and industry best practices.
- Experience in developing and delivering effective training and communication tools.
- Interpersonal and communication skills are essential for communicating with external and internal stakeholders, including above site groups and regulators. Ability to influence functions / people not directly under their control.
- Project management skills.
- Experience of managing EHS compliance in a highly regulated manufacturing an asset.