People First Philosophy - At Focus we believe our people are our strongest asset. Focus has numerous programs, policies and practices to support our philosophy.
Safety - Our safety program "Focus on Safety" is recognized as one of the top safety programs in Canada and provides our employees with the essential tools to understand the full importance of safety. For us, safety is a way of living, not just a way of working. Focus promotes safe living in all aspects of life.
Excellent Benefits - Focus offers a deluxe benefits package, including 100% legally required prescription drug coverage and 100% basic dental care. Our benefits also include short and long disability, life insurance, dependent life insurance, AD&D and Employee and Family Assistance.
Locations - With 20 offices across Western Canada including field, office and professional positions, there are opportunities for employment in most locations.
Career Advancement Opportunities - With a diversity of services in Geomatics, oil and gas, and municipal/provincial infrastructure areas there are opportunities for cross training as well as opportunities for promotions and transfers.
Focus Corporation (now part of WSP Global) is a premier project delivery company, providing engineering and geomatics solutions to the energy, infrastructure, and land development sectors across Canada.
Recognized as leaders in our field, our clients are some of the most recognized names in their industry and we partner with them to provide innovative solutions that will increase their business performance.
At Focus, we recognize that our people are the key to our success; we strive to provide our employees with a positive experience as they grow and contribute to our organization.
What makes us different?
- Opportunities to work on a wide range of diverse and challenging projects
- Rewards and Recognition that are designed to empower people with the options, resources and incentives they need to be successful
- Ongoing learning and development that allows our employees to continue to be the best at what they do
- We work where we play and our involvement in numerous local community support projects allows us to give back and make a difference
Our Geomatics division is currently experiencing growth, opening up exciting opportunities for enthusiastic, motivated and dedicated individuals that can think on their feet. We are looking for CAD Technicians who want to work on a variety of projects including oil and gas surveys, residential projects and large industrial projects. Located in our Truro office, the successful candidate will provide remote support for our Grande Prairie operation in NW Alberta. They will be dealing with a wide variety of jobs; and will be involved in the fast paced surveying industry of Western Canada while getting to stay in the Mari-times.
Reporting to the Drafting Manager, Grande Prairie, you will be responsible for the production of various types of survey plans. Working with the Plan Checking and Project Management groups, you will create plans of survey from the data and notes received from field crews and ensure that all required information is presented. The CAD Technician’s role is critical in interpreting the data from the field crews and creating a final product for the client of the highest quality.
- Using standard practices to efficiently draft accurate survey plans from information gathered in the field and office
- Draft plans using the standards set out by Focus using current lisp routines and blocks
- Maintain familiarity with current techniques, developments, etc.
- Actively work at improving drafting skills and increase current knowledge of surveying
- Ensure that the quality and accuracy of all plans for which you have responsibility meet the Focus standards before they are delivered for checking
Our successful candidate will ideally be a graduate of a recognized Geomatics Technician/Technology Program. In addition you will also have:
- At least 3 years’ experience using AutoCAD and related software in the preparation of survey related plans for the oil and gas sector
- Previous experience of working with for an oil & gas and/or land surveying company is an asset
- Computer skills with a solid understanding of AutoCAD Civil 3D and/or AutoCAD Map
- An understanding of the basic principles of surveying and survey plan requirements
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment with strict deadlines
- Strong teamwork skills and ability to work on an individual basis
- Ability to learn new software and be open to new ideas
- Ability to identify and set priorities, effective time management
- High attention to detail and take pride in the final product
Please click on the "Learn More" button to find out more about Focus.