With energy, drive and a spirit of collaboration, there are no limits to what we can achieve together. Better still, there are no limits on the legacy you can leave while working for ABB.
ABB (www.abb.com) is a leader in power and automation technologies that enable utility and industry customers to improve performance while lowering environmental impact. The ABB Group of companies operates in around 100 countries and employs about 150,000 people.
Reporting to the National Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) director, the selected candidate will be responsible for managing environmental projects for ABB legacy sites in Canada. In this capacity this person will take charge of all technical aspects of environmental remediation, monitoring and internal and external communications relative to the sites. The selected candidate will provide support all business partners involved within ABB relatively to environmental matters. Moreover, this person will maintain good relationships with governing authorities so applicable laws, regulations, standards and internal ABB policies and procedures will continue to be followed. He will manage work of consultants, either technical or legal and will provide support in preparing pre-qualification documents related to environmental matters of ABB projects ensuring integrity and consistency in the HSE information provided to internal or external parties.
- Monitor environmental remediation and compliance of legacy sites under his/her responsibility.
- Overlook environmental risk assessments of sites and propose solutions for redevelopment.
- Manage consultants work in environmental, legal activities.
- Report issues to ABB management and outside governing authorities in environment regarding legacy sites managed by ABB in Canada.
- Establish of an environmental strategy for ABB in Canada legacy sites.
- Contribute to Policies and Programs development with a Management system approach within Canadian HSE team.
- Perform HSE internal audits of environmental contractors.
- Provide training in environmental prevention to projects personnel.
- Encourage good environmental practices within ABB by sharing the best ones with the rest of the organization.
- Share by coaching and training best environmental practices and knowledge with the regional HSE managers and local business units' local sustainability officers.
- University graduate in environmental engineering, or pertinent earth sciences degree.
- Environmental accreditation (auditor).
- Safety Professional accreditations (CRSP and Construction safety certification) would be a definite asset.
- More than fifteen years of experience in environmental project management of contaminated sites (characterization and remediation, cost control, consultants, contractors, reporting) and field experience.
- Experienced in governmental relations relatively to reporting and communicating with environmental ministries or local environmental authorities.
- Exposure to media relations would be a definite asset.
- Bilingual (French and English) with excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills reading and writing skills.
- Excellent knowledge of environmental and health and safety legislative requirements within the geography of responsibilities.
- Knowledge of ISO 14001, OSHAS 18001, and CSA, NFPA standards / guidelines / specifications would be a definite asset.
- Excellent computer skills (Excel, Data base management).
- This person must be available to travel 30% of his time.
ABB is an Employment Equity Employer and values a diverse workforce. ABB will provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. In support of our Employment Equity Program, women, aboriginal people, members of visible minorities, and/or persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply and self-identify in the application process. We also offer a stimulating work environment, competitive salaries and a complete benefits package.
The masculine form is used as neutral gender and includes man and women.