KANAWEYIMIK CHILD & FAMILY SERVICES, INC
Kanaweyimik is an independent, non-political child welfare agency providing child welfare and family services to five First Nations. Moosomin, Mosquito, Red Pheasant, Saulteaux & Sweetgrass First Nations contract for services with Kanaweyimik.
The following is a general description of a Parent Aide position. Salary will be commensurate with experience, training and education. This is a full-time, permanent position.
MSS URBAN SERVICES - PARENT AIDE
- Responsible for providing one on one support services consisting of the following: teaching parenting skills, budgeting skills, homemaking skills, life skills or other services as identified by the Family Services Worker/Ministry of Social Services Case Worker;
- Responsible for monitoring of family visits in critical situations where a child's safety is in question when children are in care of Kanaweyimik.
- Establishing a relationship of trust and support by being caring and honest, showing primary concern to the family;
- Helping families become involved in activities designed to reduce isolation and to establish support systems;
- Encouraging school and medical appointments by accompanying the family and support the family in appropriately assertive behavior;
- Engaging in enjoyable activities with the family and teaching them how to enjoy their children;
- Helping parents become aware of the stages and process of child development;
- Teaching life skills, such as home management, parenting skills, budgeting and hygiene;
- Serving as a bridge between home and others in order to facilitate other services;
- Must hove a certificate from o recognized School of Social Work or equivalent training and work experience in the human services field;
- Must have a minimum of two years experience in the human services field and proven ability to work in the human services field, mainly child protection and family services;
- Must demonstrate knowledge of The Child & Family Services Act;
- Must demonstrate a clear understanding and knowledge of native family systems;
- Must demonstrate knowledge in the area of family violence dynamics;
- Must demonstrate knowledge of the effects of separation as it relates to placement of children;
- Must demonstrate knowledge of the Family Systems theory and case management practices
- Knowledge of the Cree language is an asset;
- Computer skills are a position requirement;
- Excellent verbal, written and time management skills are required;
- A clear criminal records check MUST BE PRESENTED AT INTERVIEW;
- Must have a valid drivers licence.
Application deadline is September 12,2014 at 5:00pm. Start date to be determined. Please forward resumes by fax or mail to: (306) 445-2533. Only successful applicants will be contacted for scheduled interviews. Recruitment process to continue until a successful candidate is selected.
Kanaweyimik Child & Family Services, Inc.
P.O. Box 1270 Battleford, Saskatchewan S0M 0E0
Attention: Marlene Bugler