Employee Group: Part-time
Faculty/Department:Faculty of continuing and Professional Students, Department of Workforce Development
Campus: May be assigned activity at any Sheridan campus
Reference Number: 16/PT/44
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Salary Range: Based on relevant educational qualifications and experience
The Human Resources department maintains a Faculty Pool of resumes for job seekers interested in part-time teaching opportunities at the College.
Sheridan is looking for outstanding individuals to join our pool of potential professors within the Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada program. This program offers newcomers and refugees high quality English language training to help them transition into the workplace or further academic studies.
Sheridan professors are responsible for developing an effective learning environment for students while respecting their diverse cultural and educational backgrounds, experiences, and individual learning styles.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Delivering course curriculum in classroom and/or online, which includes ensuring student awareness of course objectives, approach and evaluation techniques
- Tutoring and academic counselling of students, while evaluating student progress/achievement and assuming responsibility for the overall assessment of the students’ work within assigned courses
- Defining, evaluating and validating learning outcomes and designing appropriate strategies and tools for assessing student learning
- Developing individualized instruction and multi-media presentations and incorporating technology into the learning process where applicable
- Attending periodic faculty meetings
- TESL or CELTA certification required
- Minimum of 2 years related professional experience
- Advanced knowledge in at least two of the following: technology assisted and mediated English language learning, pathways to education and employment for newcomers to Canada, application and evaluation of Canadian Language Benchmarks.
- Practical experience in at least two of the following: English for Academic Purposes, Settlement Language Teaching, formative language assessment methodologies.
- Experience with using technology to enrich and accelerate English language learning
- Experience in teaching and curriculum development at the post-secondary level or equivalent experience as a trainer in industry preferred.
- Strong network of contacts with other professionals in the English language teaching industry;
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills;
- Committed to excellence in teaching and learning and to working within a team environment.
Sheridan welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including visible minorities, Indigenous People, and persons with disabilities. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), Sheridan is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process. At any stage of the hiring process, Human Resources will work with applicants requesting accommodation.
Note: Credentials obtained outside of Canada require an evaluation to determine the Canadian educational equivalence. This evaluation must support the educational requirements for the position as a condition of employment. For further information, visit: World Education Services