Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Construction Officer 4 - Site-C
Job Number: BCH-T-7399-170109E1
Job Location: Fort St John Site C, British Columbia, Canada
We’re BC Hydro and we have a big job to do.
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of B.C.’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for four years in a row.
It’s our vision is to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
Site C will be the third dam and hydroelectric generating station on the Peace River in northeast B.C. The project will provide 1,100 megawatts (MW) of capacity and about 5,100 gigawatt hours (GWh) of energy each year to the province’s integrated electricity system. Project components include an earthfill dam, diversion tunnel, generating station, spillway and associated structures, an 83-kilometre-long reservoir, re-alignment of six sections of Highway 29, and two 77-kilometre transmission lines along an existing right-of-way connecting Site C to Peace Canyon. The $8.3 billion project is estimated to be complete by 2024, and will use 10,000 person-years of direct construction labour.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Holds work leadership responsibilities for, and performs the same duties as lower level Construction Officers and other technical and clerical staff assigned to the project.
- May act as on-site BC Hydro representative with the associated authority to commit BC Hydro to project activities and resulting costs.
- Participates in project planning, including providing input into draft tender documents; participates in pre-job conferences with contractors and BC Hydro staff to ensure that contract specifications are clearly understood and that work schedules are appropriate.
- Acts as a prime interface with project team members, local interest groups and other authorities.
- Identifies, researches and develops alternate strategies to overcome a variety of construction and environmental problems on a project.
- Administers contracts, monitors project activities and maintains liaison with contractors/CBU, ensuring that work materials, progress and costs meet BC Hydro’s expectations; resolves related problems; certifies progress and final payments are correct and approves acceptable deviations from contract specifications.
- Coordinates the work and inspects key operations; directs and evaluates testing, surveying and estimating activities.
- Acts as Site Safety Coordinator and ensures that contractors fulfil all safety and security requirements.
- Act as Project Controller in accordance with SPR requirements.
- Prepares reports of project activities and arranges for required permits and clearances.
- Performs duties of a minor nature related to the above duties which do not affect the rating of the job.
- Completion of a National Diploma of Technology in either Civil & Structural or Electrical from an Institute of Technology or relevant trades apprenticeship course or equivalent plus additional training in contract law and 7 years of related construction work experience.
This position is affiliated with the Movement of United Professionals union (MoveUP/COPE). http://moveuptogether.ca
- This location may be eligible for a Remote Incentive of 12%.
- This location is eligible for Extended Health Care Medical Travel Benefit. The Extended Health Care Medical Travel Benefit is extended to Full-Time Regular, Part-Time Regular and Full-Time Temporary employees who are permanently working in eligible remote locations.
- Spends a regular amount of the day, over 30% of time, exposed to all weather conditions while performing job functions.
- Works at construction and office site. May be required to work underground, up on scaffolding or up towers. Spends portions of the day on feet on rough terrain. May have to drive from site to site daily.
- Preference will be given to Candidates with Geotechnical Accreditation and Experience in Dam Construction and/or major heavy civil work Projects.
- This is a Full Time Temporary position for approximately eight (8) years.
- As part of the selection process, applicants may be required to take a written test during the interview. * Applicants who do not meet the full qualifications or those with lesser work experience may be considered for a lower level position.
- A condition of employment for this job is that you maintain your Driver's License: Class 5 In Good Standing.
- Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by February 5th, 2017.
Click here to access the job posting or visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We act with integrity.
We respect our province.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.