Are you a Calgary retail real estate professional? Calgary Co-op Facilities Development and Real Estate division is recruiting for a Real Estate and Development Director.
The Real Estate and Development Director reports to the Vice President and is responsible for the strategic growth of Calgary Co-op's food, gas and liquor network, as well as management of our significant shopping centre and land asset portfolio. The roles and responsibilities for strategic growth of the network include retail site analysis, deal negotiation, executive approvals and development facilitation.
- Formulate competitive real estate strategy to best position Calgary Co-op's existing and future retail locations within the market.
- Identify sites and negotiate purchase and lease agreements to align with the real estate strategy.
- Assist and inform the capital plan process by providing analysis and competitive insights.
- Establish and maintain contacts in the development industry.
- Maintain knowledge of population trends, zoning, infrastructure and residential development, and government legislation.
- Gather market intelligence with regard to new developments and competitive activities in market.
- Prepare economic feasibility and business cases for approval by executive leadership team, board of directors, and corporate signing officers, as required.
- Represent Calgary Co-op in all processes with approving authorities (city staff, council, planning commission, subdivision and development appeal board).
- Represent Calgary Co-op at meetings with external stake holders.
- Engage and direct multi-disciplinary professional and legal teams to complete major development projects and real estate transactions.
- Identify opportunities and develop strategies for site densification to maximize Co-op's asset value including partnerships with other developers or self-development.
- Make recommendations and assist with site planning, massing, density, and land use mix.
- Work with other Calgary Co-op business units to gather information to support business cases, capital planning and site development.
- Develop leasing strategy for Calgary Co-op's retail portfolio.
- Prepare Commercial Rental Units(CRU's) rental income and expense budgets.
Skills and Experience
- University Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Urban Planning or an equivalent field of study.
- Seven to ten years of progressive experience in the commercial real estate industry, including independent negotiation of leases and purchases.
- Knowledge of municipal processes including development permits, building permits and rezoning.
- Experience developing and administering CRU budgets including income and expense budgets.
- Experience completing various financial analysis commonly used in the real estate industry and in measuring capital investment.
- Superior public presentation skills developed in a variety of professional forums.
- High level of fluency using Powerpoint, Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and GIS programs.
Locally owned and operated, Calgary Co-op is one of the largest retail co-operatives in North America and has been a member of the Calgary community for over 56 years. With over 440,000 members, 3,600 employees, assets of $393 million and annual sales of just over $1 billion, Calgary Co-op, Calgary's local fresh market, is committed to lead in food, petroleum, home health care, pharmacy, travel and wines & spirits. Investing over $3 million into the Calgary and area community, Calgary Co-op supports numerous local non-profit and charitable organizations.
We thank all applicants for their interest however only those applicants considered for an interview will be contacted
Click here to apply for this job