The Parks & Maintenance Operations Division is looking for motivated team players to assist with the summer maintenance activities within the City of Brampton’s parks
Wage: $22.35 per hour (2012 rate)
Hours: Variable Work Term: Maximum 6 months
Designs, prepares and maintains annual beds, shrubs, turf, indoor plants and trees in the City of Brampton
Duties include some or all of the following:
- Performs horticultural activities, including bed preparation, planting, transplanting, watering, weeding, cultivating, pruning, fertilizing and maintenance of small trees, shrubs, annuals and perennials according to current policies and horticultural practices;
- Diagnoses and remedies flower, shrub and turf problems;
- Grass cutting, litter and brush control and pick up, mulching/chipping;
- Aquacide operations;
- Manual weed removal and deadheading;
- Removes overgrown materials, hangers, dead branches and storm damage from trees and shrubs;
- General park repairs;
- Accurately maintains daily, written records for the purpose of tracking, reporting and documenting maintenance activities;
- Delegates work assignments to students ensuring appropriate scheduling and quality control;
- Monitors performance of students;
- Ensures work is performed efficiently and safely in accordance with approved City maintenance standards/specifications, policies and procedures and other legislative requirements. (e.g.: OSHA Health and Safety Act, Traffic Control, etc.);
- Ensures safe and responsible operation of all City vehicles and equipment;
- Ensures all tools/equipment are operated competently, safely and maintained in a good operating condition. (Including circle checks);
- Performs routine maintenance and service including: lubricates, cleans and washes trucks, trailers and minor repairs to hand tools;
- Represents the Corporation in a professional, courteous and respectful manner in all dealings with the public;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum Grade 12 education or acceptable equivalent in education and experience;
- Minimum 2 year of related work experience
- Related post secondary education in horticulture or turf is an asset;
- Minimum of 1 year’s previous experience in horticulture machinery and equipment used including: trucks, tractors, mowing equipment, and small hand equipment preferred;
- Previous work experience in landscaping, horticulture, farming or related experience an asset;
- Leadership experience an asset;
- Valid Ontario Class “G” Driver’s Licence, with a clean driving record;
- Demonstrated effective communication skills, both oral and written;
- Strong customerservice skills;
- Proficient time management skills and flexibility in adjusting between a variety of duties;
- Must be a reliable team player, able to work with and without direct supervision;
- Able to work outside in varying weather conditions (heat, wet) and perform physical work;
- Current Emergency First Aid (1 day course);
- Must be available for the full 6 month contract
- Available to work shift and weekend work, if required;
- Able to wear and use required personal safety equipment and clothing and supply own CSA approved (green patch) 8” work boots.
Applications must be received by March 31, 2014
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.