Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become financially better off.
A Best Workplace
Scotiabank is a premier financial institution and Canada's most international bank recognized as a Best Workplace®, in Canada, Mexico, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Panama, Peru, and Latin America by the Great Place to Work® Institute.
A multinational winning team
Scotiabank is a leading multinational financial services provider and Canada's most international bank. Since welcoming our first customers in Halifax, Nova Scotia, in 1832, Scotiabank has continued to expand its global reach. Today, through our team of more than 83,000 employees, Scotiabank and its affiliates offer a broad range of products and services, including personal, commercial, corporate and investment banking, to over 19 million customers in more than 55 countries around the world.
Corporate Social Responsibility
Scotiabank helps to build bright futures worldwide through ethical banking practices, environmental awareness and a commitment to communities.
The Senior Technical Analyst supports the efficient design, development, maintenance, processing and production of financial systems for reporting and analysis information to IT&S Finance and their clients.
The Senior Technical Analyst is responsible for assisting in all aspects of the system development and maintenance life cycle, including the assessment and evaluation of technology solutions. They assist with providing cost-efficient and effective systems development (i.e. systems enhancements), user testing, implementation, administration, maintenance and production support for assigned IT&S Finance systems to meet the financial information management needs of IT&S Finance and the IT&S Division.
The incumbent assists with the documentation of business processes and requirements and helps translate business needs into systems solutions, with a view to making IT&S Finance more effective and clients better served.
The Senior Technical Analyst committed to the provision of high quality End User support for IT&S Finance applications and assists with developing and maintaining technical documentation. They assist with ensuring compliance and adherence to licensing agreements, procedures and controls.
The incumbent works collaboratively with peers, IT&S Area clients and vendors in achieving objectives. They participate on special projects and periodic analysis for management, as needed.
Provide support with analyzing and evaluating technology needs and solutions, by:
- Analyzing and documenting End User business requirements with members of IT&S Finance and pertinent User and stakeholder groups, providing technical advice and helping to translate needs into systems requirements, as requested
- Reviewing the financial analysis and reporting needs of IT&S Finance and IT&S Area clients, systems and MIS requirements
- Assisting with the development of gap analysis, business cases, management presentations, as required
- Assessing new functionality offered by financial systems, new versions and releases to determine potential benefits and application, and making recommendations to the Manager
- Researching hardware, software, application packages, and development tools/techniques
- Supporting the reviews of existing applications/systems to assess how well client needs are being met
- Participating in special projects as assigned e.g. Finance Transformation system
2. Provide technical support for developing, testing and establishing new systems or enhancements, sources, and uses of MIS information, as required, by:
- Working collaboratively within FIS and IT&S Finance, designing, developing and implementing system solutions, automation opportunities, new tools / technologies / systems with a view to making IT&S Finance more effective, (e.g. increase analytical capabilities, reduce time for compilation, distribution, processing and delivery of information, SAS development)
- Working with team members to test system and application changes, and implement newly developed or enhanced systems, as required
3. Provide support for systems operations, production, administration and maintenance for assigned IT&S Finance systems including:
- Supporting application systems such as BOP, Multitrack, SAS, CMS to maintain high quality, reliability and availability, as assigned, by:
a) Maintaining performance capacity, timeliness and connectivity of systems and reporting
b) Systems administration, operations and production (e.g. regular job submission, project/pool administration, user administration, time correction, job error resolution, data feed, back-ups)
c) Ad hoc reporting (e.g. SAS)
d) Ad hoc programming (e.g. SAS programming to correct or update existing processes)
e) Validation of data, model maintenance, data load process backup and plan/forecast data exports and processing (e.g. SmartStream Project, BOP reporting plan/forecast and operations backup)
f) Maintaining information (e.g. SWCap project list)
- Supporting the reliability of administrative controls in accordance with the Bank's security requirements
- Participating in the review of critical system problems and recommending viable solutions
- Supporting contractor on-boarding activities for IT&S stakeholders with CMS application
- Maintaining methodology configurations within SAS Activity Based Management application
- Developing, maintaining and running efficient and reliable production processes
- Identifying and resolving system and reporting performance and connectivity issues
4. Provide efficient and accurate data processing support (i.e. programs which organize and manipulate data) and production of financial reporting for IT&S Finance applications, by:
- Supporting production processes and reporting, and providing data management support for IT&S Finance applications, including:
a) MS Access to extract data from SMS Project
b) BOP reporting of operating results
c) Transit Change requests
d) ScotiaLive page maintenance
- Collaborating with team members to provide accurate and timely processing and delivery of data e.g. data vetting and cleaning, automated and formalized data processing where possible, for ad hoc, automatic and standard reports
- Publishing reports, documents, metrics through online dashboard technology, as requested
- Assisting with the generation of custom reporting to support User needs
- Identifying opportunities to promote on-line reporting capability for Users
5. Provide User friendly technical assistance, support and documentation to IT&S clients and IT&S Finance by:
- Tracking incoming client and IT&S Finance requests for support services i.e. receive, log, prioritize, track and report
- Maintaining the central repository of approved business cases and projects
- Trouble shooting and resolving technical requests, issues for IT&S financial systems
- Providing End Users with second level support, systems training, reference guides and materials to support IT&S finance applications
- Training End Users to generate custom reports
- Assisting with the development and updating of End User manuals and reference guides for IT&S Finance applications
- Updating system documentation for financial applications i.e. SAS, Microsoft applications, creating system extracts or performing uploads) and written procedures, as directed by the Manager
6. Analyze and assist with developing and implementing new/changed systems, controls, policies and procedures, as requested by the Manager by:
- Analyzing best practices and processes, identifying redesign and continuous improvement opportunities and making recommendations. Providing meaningful input into the redesign of workflows to simplify and streamline processes and improve the quality/effectiveness of deliverables. Assisting with the development and documentation of procedures
- Supporting the testing, resolution and integration of data and the use of various systems to provide financial information, as required
- Demonstrating creativity to recommend new and innovative approaches to utilizing information sources
- Documenting and implementing process/system enhancements to deliver improved financial services / analyzing implications of implementing changes, including developing and reviewing forms and instructions to be utilized within IT&S Finance and assigned client group
- Assisting with the communication of procedures to department and Division in order to gain adoption of current/new methods, including tools/forms to be utilized within IT&S Finance and assigned client group
- Testing system changes/new procedures; ensuring errors are logged and reported for follow-up
- Participating in special projects as requested
7.Work collaboratively within IT&S Finance and provide client-focused support, knowledge sharing and operational excellence by:
- Working collaboratively as a member of the FIS group and with IT&S Finance, sharing information and resolving issues
- Performing day-to-day activities to achieve optimal client service levels and meet team workloads
- Following processes, best practices, policies, procedures and productivity standards
- Understanding team's goals within the department, as aligned with IT&S Finance, the Division and Scotiabank
- Making every attempt to understand client business and service needs, and providing helpful assistance to clients where possible, according to service standards or as directed by management
- Fielding customer/supplier enquiries and clearly responding to questions by communicating ideas using appropriate delivery method (e.g. in-person, email, presentation, etc.)
- Responding in a timely fashion to user questions, and communicating ideas using appropriate delivery method (e.g. in-person, email, etc.) and style
- Identifying opportunities to improve delivery of services to all key stakeholders, IT&S Finance and other areas
- Strong MS Office (Access, Word and Excel), Visio, Adobe Acrobat and relational and reporting databases, to conduct analysis and generate reports, especially spreadsheet programs including macros to develop, use, manipulate and maintain databases and models (including Excel, pivot-tables, lookups, advanced formulas). Deep understanding and experience with SQL Server and related applications with ability to run, ETL (Extract, Transform and Load) processes.
- This role requires the ability to build and manage a Datamart/Data warehouse application, including architecting the design of the database and managing numerous data feeds. .
- Familiarity with mainframe programming languages and databases is an asset..
- Knowledge of the systems development life cycle, comprehension of data/information, to recognize issues/solve problems, using judgment and common sense while reviewing transactions, reports
- The incumbent has a good understanding of accounting principles, policies and procedures and effectiveness of financial controls
- Accounting concepts, financial and management reporting principles (including GAAP), processes, issues and techniques
- Processes and systems supporting the General Ledger
- Bank's accounting policies, Bank products and delivery environment, to provide framework for analysis.
- An excellent understanding of the elements of effective control over accuracy and completeness of financial reporting; attention to details
- Strong analytical and problem solving capabilities, strong technical and computer background, with an understanding of the system development life cycle
- Highly motivated and proactive team player with excellent inter-personal skills
- Effective communication abilities (both verbal and written), and ability to deal with employees and management both within IT&S Finance and IT&S Areas
- High customer service orientation and ability to show tact and diplomacy in achieving the objectives.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in a team environment with peers and superiors across organizational lines, and manage within tight deadlines
- Ability to multi-task and deliver high-quality results under very tight deadlines; continuously assess priorities and business requirements, and balance between regular deliverables and priority management requests
- Demonstrating the ability to overcome challenging obstacles while utilizing appropriate sense of urgency and decisive thought process to execute established processes
- Must be detailed oriented, able to work independently or as part of a team, during constrained timelines
- Demonstrating the ability to overcome obstacles while utilizing appropriate sense of urgency and decisive thought process to execute established processes
- Strong organizational skills
- Well-developed client service techniques and skills
- Strong technical analysis capability (attention to detail is critical)
- Very good inter-personal skills with ability to work effectively with colleagues and internal/external customer.
Education and Accreditation:
- Preferred education is a University undergraduate degree or college program in technical specialty, with a minimum of 4years related experience within a large organization or currently is in a program working towards a designation OR has 4 years of related experience
- Financial and technology base background with experience to outsourcing services an asset
To apply for this position please CLICK HEREScotiabank is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all interested parties. We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies please.
Experience some of our amazing career stories for yourself.
Visit www.scotiabank.com/careers today