||Sous Chef - Simon Fraser University|
Compass Group Canada is the leading foodservice and support services company in Canada with over 21,000 associates and annual managed revenues of $1.5 billion in 2012. Employing 500,000 associates worldwide, its parent company, UK-based Compass Group PLC had revenues of £16.9 billion in 2012. Our vision for growth and success is a powerful one, to combine fresh ideas with the industry's greatest talent -- Great People, Great Service, Great Results!
Chartwells serves educational institutions from Kindergarten through Grade 12, colleges and universities. Chartwells provides responsible, healthy-eating solutions and education to its customers.
Position: Sous Chef
Location: Burnaby, BC - Simon Fraser University
We are currently seeking a motivated Sous Chef to assist the Executive Chef with the overall responsibility and day-to-day management of our high-volume Dining Hall.
The Sous Chef,
- Is responsible for assisting the Executive Chef in the unit, taking over the Executive Chef's duties in his / her absence
- Assist the Executive Chef with inventories, pricing, cost controls, requisitioning, and issuing supplies and equipment for food production.
- Prepares and supervise the culinary team in preparation of a wide variety of foods in addition to sharing food knowledge with the team
- Directly involved in menu planning and development, operation planning, expenditures, budgeting, costing and maintaining proper inventory levels
- Ensure proper staffing for maximum productivity and high standards of quality; controls food and payroll costs to achieve maximum profitability.
- Ensure good client relationships are maintained and that the client is satisfied with the service and menu options we provide
- Ensure strict compliance with Compass' Quality Assurance and Health and Safety Program, Occupational Health and Safety Act and WHMIS regulations
- Coordinate frequent workplace inspections and WHMIS training of all staff and promptly report any workplace accident or incident to head office
- Make recommendations for maintenance, repair and upkeep of the kitchen, its equipment and other areas as appropriate.
Required: (please only apply if you meet all required qualifications):
- 3+ years related culinary supervisory experience in a fast paced production-oriented environment
- Red Seal Chef Certificate or equivalent
- Strong background in banquet and catering functions with high volume production
- Comprehensive knowledge of food and catering trends with a focus on quality, production, sanitation, food cost controls and presentation
- Basic supervisory skills, capable of motivating, leading and developing associates
- Hard working team player
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Able to work in a fast paced environment and readily acceptable to change work priorities at any time
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word and Excel)
- Flexible working hours to accommodate business needs - this position may require evening and weekend availability