Employee Group: Part-time
Faculty/Department: Faculty of Continuing and Professional Studies
Campus: Davis (May be assigned activity at any Sheridan campus)
Reference Number: 16/PT/51
Salary Range: Based on relevant educational qualifications and experience
Start Date: January 2017
Application Deadline: Open until filled
The Human Resources department maintains a Faculty Pool of resumes for job seekers interested in part-time teaching opportunities at the College.
Sheridan is looking for outstanding individuals to join our part-time faculty pool to teach Academic Upgrading courses. Academic Upgrading includes Academic and Career Education (ACE) classes, which provide high school equivalency credentials to adult learners and are delivered across Ontario’s Community Colleges. These classes prepare students to apply and succeed in community college, post-secondary and apprenticeship training programs. Students who complete these courses develop practical and professional skills that they can apply to pursue further studies or progress in their careers.
Sheridan seeks part-time professors to teach in the following courses within Academic Upgrading:
- Pre-ACE Communications
- ACE Advanced Computers
- Strategies for Success
- ACE Core Communications
- ACE Business and Health Mathematics
- ACE Core Mathematics for Workplace
Sheridan professors are responsible for developing an effective learning environment for students while respecting their diverse cultural and educational backgrounds, experiences, and individual learning styles.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Delivering course curriculum in classroom and/or online, which includes ensuring student awareness of course objectives, approach and evaluation techniques
- Tutoring and academic counselling of students, while evaluating student progress/achievement and assuming responsibility for the overall assessment of the students’ work within assigned courses
- Defining, evaluating and validating learning outcomes and designing appropriate strategies and tools for assessing student learning
- Developing individualized instruction and multi-media presentations and incorporating technology into the learning process where applicable
- Attending periodic faculty meetings
- Master’s degree in teaching area of subject-matter (i.e. English/Communications, Mathematics, Computers, Adult Education/Career Development) or a related field is required
- Minimum of 2 years related professional experience
- Practical experience teaching Academic Upgrading courses considered an asset
- Experience with learning management systems would be considered an asset
- Experience in teaching and curriculum development at the post-secondary level or equivalent experience as a trainer in industry preferred
- Strong network of contacts with other professionals and organizations
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills
- Committed to excellence in teaching and learning and to working within a team environment.
Sheridan welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including visible minorities, Indigenous People, and persons with disabilities. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), Sheridan is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process. At any stage of the hiring process, Human Resources will work with applicants requesting accommodation.
Note: Credentials obtained outside of Canada require an evaluation to determine the Canadian educational equivalence. This evaluation must support the educational requirements for the position as a condition of employment. For further information, visit: World Education Services