Lehigh Hanson is one of the largest construction materials companies in North America with more than 550 active operations in the U.S. and Canada. Our core activities include the production and distribution of cement and aggregates, the two essential raw materials in concrete. Lehigh Hanson companies also produce ready-mixed concrete, asphalt and other concrete products.
Lehigh Hanson is part of the HeidelbergCement Group, the global market leader in aggregates with leading positions in cement, concrete and other downstream activities. Following the acquisition of Italcementi, the company employs some 63,000 people at more than 3,000 locations in around 60 countries.
This position reports to the Plant Manager and is responsible for the following primary responsibilities:
- Coordinates and administers safety programs at the Picton, Ontario plant and assure compliance with Corporate Safety Policies, Provincial, and Federal legislation and regulations, and Transport Canada.
- Conducts compliance inspections by actively walking the plant daily to review safety practices and potential hazards.
- Performs or co-ordinates industrial hygiene tests as required.
- Assures that all employees, visitors and contractors are properly trained in job hazards and safe work practices.
- Conducts safety audits as needed, represents plant to regulatory inspectors and agencies such as OHSA, Transport Canada and others.
- Assists in developing and administering task training for all employees and newly hired employees
- Responsible for administering Common Core Training for all new employees
- Chairs the Joint Safety and Health Committee.
- Assists in developing or locating specialized training programs
- Maintains accurate record keeping of safety compliance and employee training records.
- Effectively manages reduction of all accidents in the workplace
- Manages all Workers Compensation claims and accident reporting effectively
- Continuous interpretation and compliance planning for current and emerging regulatory issues for employee safety and health and ensures compliance with provincial, federal legislation and company policies
- Provides guidance on the purchase and maintenance of safety equipment.
- Ensures safety systems are maintained and data is accurate
- Jointly works with Human Resources and other members of Regional Safety Team to develop programs and policies.
- Ensures compliance requirements are met through organizational and procedural measures including implementation of Group guidelines, performing training, monitoring compliance, etc.
- Proactively manages health and safety of employees to continuously improve the company's health and safety performance.
- Participate in the Lehigh Audit Program as an auditor for other locations.
Skills & Qualifications
- BA or BS degree in safety or industrial hygiene or equivalent experience.
- Certified Mine Safety Professional qualification preferred, minimum of 3-5 years safety managerial experience in a heavy manufacturing or mining environment required
- Experience in industrial hygiene sampling and computation.
- Knowledge of provincial & federal legislation and regulations pertaining to safety, i.e., OHSA.
- Experience as a trainer in safety subjects.
- Proficient computer skills with Microsoft Office products - SAP experience preferred
- Accurate record keeping and ability to prepare reports and analysis.
- Demonstrated experience in skill sets such as problem solving, team building, creativity, strategic thinking, and decision making
- Excellent organizational, and communication skills, both written and oral
- Strong interpersonal skills required to work closely with the workforce and plant supervisory level to create and maintain a strong plant safety culture.
BENEFITS & COMPENSATION:
We know that our employees are critical to our overall success. We are dedicated to investing in their future to maintain long-term relationships for lasting commitments. One of the ways we do this is to offer a comprehensive package of compensation and benefits programs which are regularly reviewed to maintain them at competitive levels.
Your salary will be commensurate with your work experience and relevant skills.
No Search Firms please.