The AVP, Employee Relations and Employment Standards is responsible for the design, development, implementation and ongoing interpretation of HR policies and standards for the Canadian organization.
This crucial role provides consulting expertise for all complex ER issues such as terminations, complex performance improvement plans and disability management consultation; code of conduct policy investigations, building and maintaining employment standards, policies and templates and ensuring the execution of employee relations activities in accordance with provincial Standards and established and sound practices and through the consistent and fair application of policies.
The AVP’s expertise and guidance is provided both directly in complex cases and indirectly through his/her team of consultants. This role will pro-actively identify and bring forward emerging changes in the market place related to employee relations and be a Subject Matter Expert for business programs and changes to ensure employment related matters are addressed.
- Leadership of a team of ER professionals
- Work closely with HR Business Relations teams, teams; leveraging internal legal counsel when appropriate
- Provide ER expertise for all complex issues including recommendations and implementing courses of action leading to resolution.
- Build and sustain employment policies, procedures, practices, templates and communication materials for HR use and application.
- Ensure that policies are applied consistently and fairly across the organization.
- Pro-actively monitor compliance with employment laws and organization goals and policies.
- Consults and makes recommendations to HR leadership and management on employment related training to the workplace.
- Participates in the development of training materials to address gaps in knowledge and performance related to employment matters.
- Oversees the analysis, maintenance, reporting and communications which are required by law or other departments in the organization and company reporting for Statistics Canada.
- Lead ER specialists to provide integrated support to HR client relations teams; pro-actively partnering with HR colleagues to manage complex cases to successful outcomes.
- In collaboration with the business, develop progressive employee relations policies to support desired cultural changes in the business.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Demonstrated depth of experience in the area leading a team of Employee Relations Advisors
- Employment Law experience/Education an Asset
- 10+ years experience in providing progressive and forward thinking Employee Relations solutions and policies
- Has an enterprise wide perspective and seeks solutions based on expertise
- Demonstrated problem solving ability.
- Approachable and will take initiative to advance policies and practices related to ER.
- Sound ability to coach and develop a team of ER and ES specialists to consult with and support Business Relations and Organizational Leadership in ER/ES matters
- Understanding of emerging technology, social media and implications on employee relations.
- Experience leading the management of employee data processes and governance
We offer a challenging, team-oriented work environment, competitive income and benefits, and opportunities for professional and personal development and growth.
Discover your opportunity….
Apply with cover letter and resume today!
Together Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life serve the financial security needs of 12 million people across Canada, with additional operations in Europe and the United States. As members of the Power Financial Corporation group of companies, we’re one of Canada’s leading insurers with interests in life insurance, health insurance, investment and retirement savings. We offer a broad portfolio of financial and benefit plan solutions for individuals, families, businesses and organizations.
We are committed to providing an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we live, and to creating an environment where every employee has the opportunity to reach their potential.