Accountable for financial and non-financial business results through effective management and execution of Sales Support, Capital Goods and Aisles. Responsible to develop and implement a comprehensive sales strategy and promote an inspired selling culture. Ensures the management of the attraction, onboarding and retention of associates. Evaluates, coaches and provides high quality instruction to direct reports, and participates in supporting the management and supervisory teams. Manages daily performance of direct reports and ensures ongoing performance growth and development. In absence of the General Manager, the Sales Manager will have accountability for all store operations.
- Leads and manages the maximization of sales growth in their departments.
- Takes opportunities to identify and grow new business opportunities and prospects.
- Supports an environment of risk taking and innovation to drive sales.
- Actively engages in the business planning process to achieve business results and coaches managers to do so as well.
- Sets strategies, sales goals and targets for their departments and communicates to associates. Ensures team understands connection between store financial success and bonus programs.
- Responsible for the score card results in their departments.
- Leverages and develops the sales capabilities of associates by setting the foundation for the use and implementation of selling techniques and company programs.
- Leads, promotes and coaches selling and cultivates an inspired selling culture with associates.
- Models, promotes and holds others accountable for customer service excellence.
- Takes ownership for the customer service resolution process in their departments.
- Responsible for the direct supervision and development of Divisional Sales Manager, Sales Support Supervisor, Technology Sales Supervisor and Sales Support Lead where applicable.
- Manages the coordination and execution of their departments and maximizes productivity.
- Ensures the hiring and onboarding process is executed in their departments; including identifying and organizing hiring needs and involvement in interviewing, selecting and checking references.
- Ownership for the internal associate succession plan to support business growth.
- Ensures a process is established and implemented for ongoing training and coaching in their departments.
- Accountability of the Performance Development Review (PDR) process including timely delivery, action plans are in place and follows up on development of associates.
- Accountable to prepare Performance Reviews in the department and delegates to Supervisor(s)/and or manager as deemed appropriate.
- Accountable for the performance management of direct and indirect reports including documentation and acts as a resource for managers and supervisors.
- Accountable to ensure schedule is completed for either store or departments as required.
- Analyzes and actively works to control labour and expense costs in the department.
- Has a complete understanding of all company policies and procedures related to this position, as outlined in the training checklist.
- Accountable to understand and communicate general company policies and provide guidance to staff as needed.
- Ensures that all forms of available communication are being used appropriately to relay information and ensure associates understanding (store and department meetings, white boards, bulletin boards, portal, email etc).
- Identifies, communicates suggestions and makes decisions for improvements in all areas of business.
- Manages and ensures execution of process excellence standards and initiatives.
- Delegates responsibilities and holds others accountable to ensure the general cleanliness of workstations, lunchroom and washrooms according to company standards is maintained.
- Promotes and maintains a safe working environment, follows all company protocols for safety and is required to take steps to rectify deficiencies.
- Maximizes department sales opportunities by implementing and reinforcing the inspired selling programs.
- Ensures the management of the day to day operations of their departments.
- Overall accountability for general administration of departments and provides ongoing support to direct reports.
- Ensures the execution of high merchandise standards and replenishment processes.
- (Oversees product flow to the sales floor and management of the night shift associates where applicable. ) If they have nights.
- Participates in payroll administration and maintains employee files.
LOSS PREVENTION / PRIVACY
- Takes a lead role in managing loss prevention in the store and execution of prevention strategies.
- Follows proper store opening and closing procedures, including alarm checks and security walks.
- Manages all privacy policies and processes in the store to ensure compliance and responds to audit findings.
- Proactively models and ensures team's understanding of and adherence to all privacy policies and procedures.
- Models and ensures team properly secures company assets and physical inventory and follows all loss prevention and key control procedures in order to reduce shrink.
- As per policy, required to have personal parcels (bags, totes, backpacks, purses, etc.) checked by a manager prior to leaving the store premises. As a keyholder, this position is required to verify bag checks.
- Demonstrates leadership and management ability.
- Demonstrated business acumen.
- Ability to make decisions with integrity that supports company guidelines and makes good business sense.
- Ability to resolve customer concerns in a diplomatic manner.
- Ability to engage customers in a friendly and professional manner.
- Capacity to communicate with all stakeholders effectively using a variety of mediums.
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize efficiently to effectively handle their daily responsibilities and serve our customers.
- Ability to coach for results.
- Ability to work effectively with ongoing distractions is necessary.
- Takes opportunities for self development.
- Can engage appropriately and work as part of a team.
- Capacity to work independently and seek out assistance as required.
- 3-5 Years of Retail management experience is preferred with direct accountability for achieving sales and service targets.
- Successful completion of high school is preferred.
- Conditions of the work environment are such that minor stress or physical discomfort may occur.
- Exposure to moderately disagreeable levels of noise generated by the copy equipment and the ringing of the telephone and internal paging system.
- Required to work a varying work schedule in order to meet the needs of the business. This would include working evenings and weekends.
* Please note that candidates who wish to apply for the position will be requested to consent to having a criminal background check conducted on them.
Staples is committed to providing accommodation to people with disabilities throughout the job application and interview process to the point of undue hardship. If you require an accommodation during the application or interview process, please contact a Customer Care Representative at 1-866-782-7537.
Please click here to Apply On-Line.