Irving Shipbuilding, located at 3099 Barrington Street Halifax NS B3K 5M7, is part of the J.D. Irving Group of companies and is in the business of building quality ships and repairing vessels. The company's primary site is Halifax Shipyard, with three other locations in the Maritime Provinces. Irving Shipbuilding is currently working on a number of significant projects for the Department of National Defense and the Canadian Coast Guard. The company's commitment to health, safety and care for its employees and the environment is an integral part of its business.
This is a permanent full-time position located in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
The Nurse Practitioner (NP) will work in a multidisciplinary industrial setting, contributing to the health, safety, and wellness of employees of Irving Shipbuilding. The NP will be responsible for the safe care of employees who experience illness or injury, by adhering to the standards of practice set forth by their regulatory body, know the competencies for which they are responsible, and work within their scope of practice.
- Education Required: Master's of Nursing prepared NP
- Years of Experience:
- 8+ years’ experience as a Nurse Practitioner in large industrial setting
- Proven experience developing and implementing wellness programs in a multi-faceted business and industrial environment
- Demonstrated competency in assessments, diagnoses and prescribing pharmaceuticals and non-pharmacological interventions within the legislated scope of practice
- Proven experience collaborating with a multitude of departments across a large, private sector organization
- Ability to handle confidentiality and sensitive issues with tact and discretion
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Preference will be given to candidates with WCB case management experience as well as those with previous experience in a shipbuilding or industrial environment.
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- The Nurse Practioner will diagnose and treat injuries, acute illness, and chronic illness with exacerbation in clinic settings on the job site
- Will prescribe medications, order and interpret laboratory and diagnostics tests, perform procedures (such as suturing) and write consults to other healthcare providers such as specialists, physiotherapists, etc.
- The NP is responsible to clearly communicate the assessment/treatment and follow up plans of each employee visit to that employees healthcare provider in the community
- The NP will take part in health promotion and illness prevention teaching and activities, participate in research education and policy development when requested
- The NP addresses population health concerns in regards to employees of Halifax Shipyard and is able to assess for occupational exposures and trends
- Conduct or oversee biometric screening, including blood/urine tests, spirometry/respirator fit testing, workplace health and wellness promotion
- Implement wellness programs and initiatives
- Provide counselling, education and follow-up with employees to treat and manage illness
- Communicate as required with the Workers’ Compensation Board
- Is responsible for making clinical decisions, exercising judgment to ensure best possible nursing care is provided within available resources
- Monitor and inform appropriate departments of all status changes and transactions relating to modified duties
What We Offer:
- Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, and vision. For further details, please contact Tracey MacCharles at: email@example.com.
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes