Metroland Media is a dynamic Media Company delivering vital business and community information to millions of readers across Ontario each week. With a healthy product offering in-print, online, trade shows and distribution networks, no target is unreachable. We are Ontario's largest and most successful community news and information source, provides local news and multi-media marketing solutions in Canada's heartland.
Metroland's diverse array of on-line products are visited by over 4 million unique visitors each month and print products are in the hands of more than 4.5 million customers a week. We continuously bringing new and acquired online products to market in order to provide our customers with a one-stop, comprehensive marketing solution. To connect with us, visit www.metroland.com.
We are seeking an Editor-in-Chief who is eager to embrace grass roots community journalism in the city of Toronto. The successful candidate will have a track record in local news coverage, proven abilities to self-promote on social media and embrace alternate story forms, with an eagerness to embrace technology to maximize outcomes. This person will be a team player.
- Develop and execute editorial strategy for a number of print and online products.
- Propose budget and business planning of the Editorial department and implement strategic plans to increase print readership and online traffic.
- Plan and assign news coverage and responsible for editing web content, fact checking, writing headlines and layout.
- Confirm copy is well written and presented in an objective and creative manner as well as appealing to the community audience.
- Ensuring the news coverage is accurate, timely and thought-provoking content that reflects the reader's need for community news regarding local government, community affairs, sports and special features and events.
- Oversee and manage the Editorial department to maintain effectiveness of staff members.
- Ensure compliance of company editorial policies and assist in directing specified editorial operations.
- Provide leadership by consistently motivating and developing staff members with a focus on coaching and team building.
- Actively participate in newspaper-sponsored community events.
- Contribute as a member of the management team to the overall strategic effectiveness of the organization by supporting the initiatives and efforts of all departments.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Degree or Diploma in Journalism or in a related field.
- Proven history as a leader of a high functioning, successful news team, along with comprehensive knowledge of media and emerging industry trends, including online.
- Experience in copy editing and page layout.
- Strong communication skills both verbal and especially written skills (Canadian Press Style).
- Effective organizational skills, ability to manage time and prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, deadline driven and demanding environment, driven for results.
- Team-oriented individual with proven leadership skills who can build professional relationships with team members.
- Eagerness to embrace change in an evolving industry with articulate vision.