UTC Aerospace Systems (UTAS) is one of the world's largest suppliers of technologically advanced aerospace and defense products. Landing Systems (LS) is a business unit within UTAS and our products consist of the manufacture, design, repair, overhaul and sales activities of landing gear, wheels and brakes, and braking systems. We are a major supplier to the commercial aerospace industry as well as the United States Government Department of Defense.
Every second a plane takes off with UTC Aerospace Systems equipment onboard. From space exploration and defense to today’s more electric, more intelligent, more integrated aircraft – our systems make modern flight possible. And by “make it possible,” we mean: we start it, power it, control it, ventilate it, quiet it, land it, stop it and monitor it. We have more than 41,000 employees across 150 countries working at the forefront of technological innovation. Thanks to their efforts, our global reach and our market-leading position, we do big things no one else can do.
Today, the fully integrated landing systems we design, test and manufacture help millions of passengers reach their destinations safely. But we aren’t satisfied with today’s success. Our global Landing Systems team is committed to continuous improvement – we work hard to make our solutions lighter-weight, stronger and more technically advanced, so that plane travel can be safer, more affordable and more sustainable in the years to come. We are looking for the best and brightest to fly and land with us!
Reporting to the Supervisor, Technical Publications, as the Technical Writer you will author Technical Publications such as Component Maintenance Manuals (CMM); Service Bulletins (SB); Service Information Letters (SIL); Instructions for Continued Airworthiness (ICA) in support of airframe manufacturers’ Aircraft Maintenance Manuals (AMM) or other maintenance documentation for UTC Aerospace Systems - Landing Systems proprietary and non-proprietary products. In addition you will provide technical support liaison for internal and external customers, which may include some on-call duties after-hours, weekends and holidays.
- Author and revise technical publications in a timely manner and in accordance contractual obligations and manage internal and external approval processes.
- Creation and maintenance of technical documentation in accordance with specifications, in particular ATA 100/2000/2100/iSpec 2200 and S1000D through observing production and usage as well as interviewing engineers and designers, studying drawings, CATIA models, specifications and acceptance test procedures.
- Documents include: Component Maintenance Manuals (CMM), Component Maintenance Publications (CMP), Aircraft Maintenance Manual (AMM) tasks, Service Bulletins (SB), Service Information Letters (SIL) using released Engineering documents, recommended inspection and rectification criteria and Manufacturing Engineering processes.
- Liaise with airframe manufacturers in the exchange of technical data.
- Provide technical support of UTC Aerospace Systems - Landing Systems products to internal and external customers, including airlines, leasing companies and service providers.
- Provide Aircraft On Ground (AOG) support as needed by the business and customers.
- Must be flexible in supporting occasional on-call duties after-hours, weekends and holidays.
- The job requires an individual who enjoys taking ownership of a project and seeing it through to completion; confident in their ability to interact at all levels and a proven customer centric focus.
- Minimum College Diploma in a relevant technical discipline.
- Minimum of 5 years related aircraft or aviation experience with landing gear, mechanical and/or electro-hydraulic / actuation systems.
- Excellent communication and very strong customer service skills.
- At least 3 years of Technical Writing experience in a manufacturing environment with preference given to those with Aerospace experience.
- Experienced process planner, familiar with machining, heat treating and plating an asset but not a requirement.
- In-depth knowledge of landing gear and flight control actuation systems a definite asset.
- Must be self-motivated with attention to detail.
- Aircraft or component maintenance experience is an asset.
- Approved Maintenance Organization (AMO) experience an asset.
- Familiarity with Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs), FAA Federal Aviation Regulations (FARs) or equivalent EASA or other airworthiness authorities’ requirements an asset.
- Candidate must be comfortable utilizing Microsoft Office Suite, FrameMaker, CORENA Suite, Corel Draw, CATIA and Innovia.
- Must be able to communicate and write in clear instructional English.
- Must use own initiative, while being assertive in ensuring tasks are completed to schedule; ability to work under pressure and to manage multiple tasks.
- UTC Aerospace Systems - Landing Systems is an equal opportunity employer committed to advancing diversity in the workplace. EOE D/F/M/V
- Successful candidate must meet all requirements under ITAR and CCGP