Under the direct supervision of a licensed Pharmacist, the assistant works under the guidance of the Pharmacist to process prescription refills, perform ODB and private third party billing, interacts with Patient Assistant Programs, home delivery medication and patient scheduling . The assistant may also be required to assist with preparing medications and monitor inventory.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist the pharmacist in maintaining federal, provincial, and local laws, accrediting body standards, and Policies and Procedures (P&Ps).
- Schedules patient for repeat medications
- Perform prescription data entry to track drug lot numbers as required
- Assists the pharmacist in entering prescriptions into the prescription software (Kroll), and filling/billing such prescriptions
- Assists the pharmacist in filling refill medications through the prescription software (Kroll)
- Communicates with patients regarding their third party insurance provider, or ODB, to resolved billing issues
- Communicates with patients' third party plans, or ODB, to troubleshoot rejected claims
- Assists the pharmacist in preparing compounding sheets for the preparation of medication
- Assists the pharmacists in the preparation and labeling of medications as allowed by law.
- Appropriate assembly of drugs and supplies by matching codes and quantities from the compounding document,
- Correct labeling of product,
- Ensuring compounding product gets matched to the right delivery just prior to shipping
- Assists the pharmacist in maintaining appropriate inventory levels.
- Orders, receives and stores medications and supplies in appropriate environment
- Performs physical inventories according to (P&Ps)
- Maintains pharmacy records including filing and documenting required information on dispensing records.
- Communicates appropriately with all members of the healthcare team.
- Documents appropriately according to P&Ps, all activities using required paperwork (logs)
- Participates in Performance Improvement and Quality Assurance activities education programs and department/branch meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Pharmacy Assistant Certificate/Diploma from an accredited institution is preferred.
- Experience in a busy community pharmacy setting using Kroll is preferred.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Organized and disciplined; strong computer skills