Posted On: Tue, Oct 10, 2017
Closing On: Fri, Jan 26, 2018
Department: Aftermarket Organization
711 Kernaghan Avenue
New Flyer Industries - North American's leading manufacturer of Heavy-Duty Transit buses in the U.S. and Canada is looking for a Technical Writer.
We hope you'll join us as we develop new greener, leaner and cleaner transit solutions in a responsible way. Don't settle for a job when you can get ahead in a career.
As a key member of our Publication's team, you will be responsible for developing and maintaining comprehensive and accurate technical information for use in our bus Service Manuals and Operator's Guides. Under the direction of the Senior Technical Editor, you will develop service and operation information as required for manual publishing.
What You Will Do:
- Perform service and operator manual production; writing work according to established procedures and ensuring tasks are completed within schedule deadlines.
- Research and understand the required aspects of a component, system and subsystem which is to be described and represented within the manuals.
- Interpret and understand associated source data such as Bill of Materials, technical summaries, vendor documentation, photos, and technical diagrams and schematics.
- Review information for completeness and accuracy; liaise with engineering staff and parts suppliers for further clarification or new information is required.
- Develop new service information by extracting, translating, re-writing and transforming complex source data into simple English instructional text using established styles in current templates.
- Review text for incorporation or revising all applicable safety standards and codes related to the subject matter.
- Work with Senior Technical Editor to successfully meet all project priorities and deadlines while following departmental writing/editing practices and procedures.
- Perform and direct quality assurance checks on all work, and analyze and identify illustrating requirements.
- Certification/diploma in technical writing from a recognized technical college or a combination of education and experience.
- Three to five years' experience as a Technical Writer in the Automotive, Heavy Equipment or Aerospace industry.
- Experience writing instruction information such as technical user guides and service manuals.
- Excellent command of written English language.
- Excellent computer knowledge of publishing programs such as Adobe Framemaker, XML authoring tools such as XMetal, and a good understanding of single source publishing.
- Excellent computer knowledge of MS Office Suite and Windows OS network.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Very good understanding of electrical, hydraulic, pneumatic and mechanical systems for heavy duty equipment.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and decision making skills.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and possess initiative to seek improvements.
- Motivated self-starter with capabilities to work within a fast paced team oriented environment.