Metroland Media is a dynamic Media Company delivering vital business and community information to millions of readers across Ontario each week. With a healthy product offering in-print, online, trade shows and distribution networks, no target is unreachable. We are Ontario's largest and most successful community news and information source, provides local news and multi-media marketing solutions in Canada's heartland.
Metroland's diverse array of on-line products are visited by over 4 million unique visitors each month and print products are in the hands of more than 4.5 million customers a week. We continuously bringing new and acquired online products to market in order to provide our customers with a one-stop, comprehensive marketing solution. To connect with us, visit www.metroland.com.
We are seeking a Reporter who is passionate about journalism and the role it plays in our communities. This position is a 12 month contract opportunity.
- Write tight news stories, sports, and features to a weekly deadline and provide accompanying artwork
- Post content to website and social media site on daily basis
- Take quality photographs and adjust for publication
- Generate fresh and interesting story ideas
- Some layout duties and copy editing
- Must be well-versed in Canadian Libel Law and Canadian Press Style
- Other duties as assigned
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Degree or Diploma in Journalism with of related experience in Journalism
- A motivated self-starter who is an innovative, aggressive journalist with the ability to write clean copy and take photos
- Have experience working in a newsroom environment and be able to adhere to tight deadlines
- Proven news judgment and a strong work ethic
- Possess strong skills in online journalism including social media
- Ability to shoot and edit photographs
- Have strong interview skills
- Must be prepared to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekend
- Must have access to a vehicle and a valid Driver’s Licence
OUR AODA COMMITMENT
Metroland is committed to accessibility in employment and to ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with AODA, Metroland will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling your interview.