This position will carry out weighing geochemical samples, following written work instructions under the direction of the Supervisor of the department.
This job description applies to employees working at the geochemistry Weighing Room (WR).
* Perform weighing techniques for schemes including Fire Assay, Acid Digests, Fusions, Leco, TIC, MMI and others as per SGS' Standard Operating Procedures.
* Perform simple bench tests including LOI, specific gravity and moisture analysis.
* Perform calibration verification and set up of equipment prior to analysis.
* Ensure that paperwork and SLIMS information matches the physical samples
* Examine samples for suitability, i.e. check fineness and available quantity are appropriate for required analysis
* Data entry into SLIMS, e.g. weights, verification information and sample comments
* Maintain and record equipment calibrations.
* Carries out routine equipment maintenance under the direction of his/her supervisor.
* Maintains a clean working environment.
* Clean labware as required.
* Assist the supervisor in training of new Technicians.
* Follow all company health, safety and environmental policies.
* May be asked to work in other areas of the Geochemistry laboratory sections when required.
* May be assigned and coordinate special or ad hoc projects as needed.
SGS is the world's leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 80,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over
1,650 offices and laboratories around the world.
For candidates who meet these pre-requisites, SGS offers a stimulating professional, environment and a very competitive compensation package.
SGS Canada is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to achieving greater accessibility by providing accommodation for people with disabilities during our hiring process. Accommodations are available on request for qualified candidates during each stage of the recruitment process.
Please note that candidates applying for Canadian jobs openings must be authorized to work in Canada.
SGS is the World's Leading Inspection, Testing, Verification & Certification Company
SGS Canada is an Employment Equity Employer
* A minimum of a high school diploma (or equivalent) is required.
* A post secondary education (degree and/or diploma) in a Science related program (Chemistry, Chemical Engineering) is a strong asset.
* Previous experience in a laboratory environment is a strong asset.
* Good hand/eye coordination when handling samples & lab equipment.
* Must use good judgment to identify and resolve problems on the job. When in difficulty refer problems to his/her supervisor for resolution.
* Intermediate level of creativity required in solving routine problems.
* Must be comfortable with numerals in order to monitor data on a computer screen.
* Must be able to read, understand and follow work instructions in a safe, accurate and timely manner.
* Able to work well under pressure during high (peak) work loads and balancing conflicting demands of high volume versus the quality of results.
* Proficient in using various type of computer software (Word, Excel, etc.).
* Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills including grammar and composition.
* Ability to work well with others & independently.
* Proven time management skills and a strong attention to detail.
* Extended hours and shiftwork may be required from time to time.
* Travel to other SGS locations may be required from time to time.