Position Title: Registered Pharmacy Technician Job Class: Pharmacy Technician
Dept/Program: Pharmacy Rate of Pay: $26.10 - $29.87
Employment Type: Casual Employee Group: OPSEU
Work Schedule: Monday to Friday - as needed Posting Date: January 12, 2018
Posting Type: Open Number: 1
The Director of Pharmacy is currently seeking a Registered Pharmacy Technician. The purpose of the position is to perform, all technical functions of a major psychiatric hospital pharmacy department, including drug distribution, packaging, order entry and inventory control. To work collaboratively with the pharmacists and other technicians to perform a complete dispensing function.
- Dispense medication orders for patients in the hospital including Leave of Absence (LOA), Discharge and Outpatient medications consistent with established procedures, good practice standards and safety requirements (e.g. tech-check-tech certification program as appropriate); provide ward stock to patient care areas and night carts and replenish Code Blue bags as per departmental policy.
- Operate and maintain machinery used in the distribution process in a safe, effective, and efficient manner (e.g. PacMed, PacVision, MedCarousel, Bullseye Pill Splitter, ADU’s).
- Issue narcotic and controlled drugs consistent with standards for security including Federal and Provincial legislations; investigate and resolve narcotic discrepancies and maintain appropriate inventory levels in pharmacy and nursing units.
- Ensure appropriate documentation for purposes of charging issues, crediting returns, and monitor expiry dates, stock levels, etc., and assuring proper storage as defined by the product monograph to maintain drug stability and protect integrity of the product and removal of unofficial supplies.
- Perform inventory audits and cycle counts on automated equipment based on pharmacy policy; recycle and credit serviceable medication into active stock.
- Pre-package medication in unit dose, control packaging, patient compliance packaging, barcoding of hazardous medications, or other formats of packaging.
- Assess acceptable suppliers based on the Ontario Drug Benefit Formulary, HealthPRO contracts, departmental contracts and/or facility policies.
- Determine appropriate quantity to purchase consistent with good inventory control principles and physical space for storage; using the Meditech Materials Management module (MM PHA), place orders maintaining appropriate documentation, e.g., packing slip, purchase order copy, receiving report, invoice copy and other relevant documentation.
- Order vaccines from the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care for the Hospital as needed, and organize and distribute vaccinations for inpatient population ensuring proper documentation and cold chain procedures are followed.
- Provide technical guidance and training to new pharmacy and nursing staff on automated dispensing systems.
- Completion of a recognized Community College Pharmacy Technician course or equivalent required
- Registration with the College of Pharmacists required (RPh.T designation)
- Preference for recent and related experience in a hospital setting
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience of drug distribution systems to perform technical functions of unit-dose and ward-stock drug distribution
- Results oriented work ethic to work independently and undertake tasks needed to accomplish work objectives and deliver quality, consistent and timely results
- Demonstrated reasoning, planning, prioritizing, and interpersonal skills
- Proven written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to adapt readily to change
- Models and promotes core ethical practice, Waypoint Values, and reflects an optimistic and positive attitude
- Preference for proficiency in French/English language skills
How do I apply?
Waypoint employees apply through the Employee Self-Service portal at https://employees.waypointcentre.ca and external applicants apply to http://www.waypointcentre.ca/i_want_to/join_your_team by close of business (5:00 pm) on January 22, 2018 quoting Job ID WC18-22 Attach your cover letter and resume detailing why you are interested in this opportunity and how you meet the qualifications and key accountabilities specified.
We are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible work environment, where all employees feel valued and respected. Waypoint offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities as part of our recruitment process. If you are contacted to arrange an interview or testing, please advise us if you require an accommodation.
For planning purposes, please be advised that final screening of all applicants will be completed by February 14th, 2018. All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position, however, due to high volumes only those selected for an interview will be contacted.