York University, founded in 1959, is now Canada’s third largest university. The School of Continuing Studies was established in 2015 and is quickly becoming a leader in adult learning, serving working professionals and diverse communities while offering an unparalleled academic experience.
The School of Continuing Studies is looking for several course instructors to teach in its Data Analytics certificate program. The instructors will be required to serve as an assistant instructor in the courses they are assigned before being assigned as a lead instructor. This will allow the applicant to fully understand the course prior to teaching it.
- Introduction to Big Data - January 11, 2018 start
- Big Data Analytics Tools – March 17, 2018 start
- Data Organization for Analysis – May 19, 2018 start
- Advanced Methods of Data Analysis – July 21, 2018 start
Courses are eight weeks long and are delivered in a combination of online delivery, and bi-weekly in-class sessions. In-class sessions are held on the Keele campus on evenings or weekends for three hours at a time. Course content, materials and assessments have been previously developed.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Comprised of two unique certificates—the Certificate in Big Data Analytics and the Certificate in Advanced Data Science and Predictive Analytics— the program covers the domains identified by the INFORMS Certified Analytics Professional (CAP®) Program.
- Follow the course outline and previously developed curriculum to facilitate the learning of students.
- Ensure that materials are presented professionally and meet the standards of the Program.
- Use technology to enhance learning.
- Provide timely feedback and grades, where required.
- Facilitate, monitor learning, and respond to students in a timely, supportive and professional manner.
- Summarize learning outcomes and review students progress in meeting the learning objectives on a continuous basis.
- Respond promptly to office requests with regard to student record keeping.
- Minimum of a Master’s degree
- INFORM CAP designation (Certified Analytics Professional) an asset
- Minimum 4 years teaching experience (evidenced by student evaluations and two teaching references)
- Adult Education certificate, certification (such as CTDP or CTP) or demonstrated equivalent experience and skill preferred
- Extensive (and current) experience in the data analytics field
- Strong communicator and collaborator
- Highly organized and a demonstrated ability to meet deadlines
- Critical thinker and problem solver
- Professional and ethical
Introduction to Big Data Analytics: Software/Programming Languages: Python, SQL, Pandas, Jupyter Notebook. Other: Business problem framing, Analytics problem modeling, Data exploration and discovery.
Big Data Analytical Tools: Software/Programming Languages Apache Hadoop, Apache Hive, Apache Spark SQL, Elasticsearch. Other: Tool evaluation/selection
Data Organization for Analysis: Software/Programming Languages: SQL, NoSQL, Hadoop, MongoDB, Neo4J, Redis. Other: Data Provisioning, Data Warehousing.
Advanced Methods of Data Analysis: Software/Programming Languages: R, Python, Weka, Gaphi. Other: Machine learning basics, Data/Text mining, Advanced Visualization.
For More Information and to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter describing your area of expertise as well as an indication of which course(s) you are interested in teaching, and a current resume
Connie Konon, Program Manager