TGLN is currently seeking a Tissue Recovery Coordinator (TRC) for the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). Reporting directly to the Manager, Tissue Recovery, this position shall be responsible for providing professional services in a manner that is consistent with the mission and values of TGLN. The Tissue Recovery Coordinator is passionate about tissue and organ donation and is dedicated to achieving optimal outcomes in the donation process through effective collaboration with the health care team, donation coordinators and surgical recovery teams in the field.
For a closer look at our tissue program and to experience what it would be like to work with us, please click on the link below:
This position involves travel throughout the Toronto region for the surgical recovery of eyes. The Tissue Recovery Coordinator role offers the opportunity to develop expertise in the surgical recovery phase of the tissue donation process. Specifically, the incumbent will be responsible for:
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Performs the surgical recovery of eye tissue (in-situ and whole globe) from deceased individuals, packages and transports tissues in accordance with TGLN and Health Canada standards using aseptic technique.
- Coordinates the tissue recovery process, which includes assessing the medical suitability of potential tissue donors in collaboration with members of the TGLN team.
- Performs the screening, evaluation, packaging and transportation of human tissue in accordance with TGLN standards.
- Performs technical duties in support of the recovery such as medical chart review, blood draw and physical examination of the deceased, prepares related supplies, equipment and surgical equipment, as well as other technical responsibilities.
- Works closely with TGLN’s Provincial Resource Centre and local healthcare professionals throughout the process with respect to required information and support.
- Ensures that all documentation is recorded accurately and completely. Reviews documentation to ensure accuracy, completeness and compliance with established processes.
- Conducts timely transportation and delivery of tissues and blood samples to designated destinations.
- Maintains equipment and supplies.
- Assists with projects, and development of processes and documentation.
- Performs quality control functions related to the role.
- Performs other duties consistent with the role, as required.
Qualifications & Experience:
- University degree or college diploma in health sciences, nursing (RPN), biological sciences or a recognized equivalent is required.
- Certification in eye or tissue banking, blood banking or laboratory technology is an asset.
- Four (4) year’s work experience in a health sciences environment specifically in organ and tissue donation, tissue recovery and processing, or clinical laboratory medical setting is preferred or a combination of equivalent experience and education.
- Demonstrated in depth knowledge of biological and health sciences as well as quality assurance and aseptic technique is preferred.
- A valid class G driver's license without restrictions and reliable vehicle is required.
- Proven ability to maintain and protect patient confidentiality at all times, demonstrating use of discretion and sound judgment.
- Proven ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Demonstration of good hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills and surgical conscience are required.
- Demonstrated superior written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work a variety of 12 hour shifts is required.
- Ability to travel throughout the GTA and area on each shift as needed is required.
TGLN offers a competitive salary. Please submit your application online referencing competition #2017-112 by February 27, 2018. Should you be contacted by TGLN, the initial communication will be sent via email. Please ensure that you provide an accessible email address with your submission.
Trillium Gift of Life Network is committed to providing accommodations in the recruitment process for job applicants with disabilities. If you require accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. Please advise Human Resources if you require assistance in applying to this position due to a disability, so that a suitable accommodation can be arranged. (In compliance with AODA, 2005, Integrated Accessibility Standards 2011, Employment Standards). Please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trillium Gift of Life Network thanks all applicants for their interest. However, only those applicants considered for this posting will be contacted.