Established in 1933 in Modesto, California, by Ernest and Julio Gallo, E. & J. Gallo Winery has become the world's largest winery and the foremost winery in the art of grape growing, winemaking, distribution and marketing of wines. With nine wineries strategically located in wine regions in both California and Washington and access to grapes from vineyards in all of the premier grape-growing areas of both states, Gallo produces wines in every category, to suit every taste. Gallo imports wines from eight of the major wine growing countries in the world. Some of the brands in Gallo’s wine portfolio include Gallo Family Vineyards, Barefoot Cellars, Apothic, Louis M. Martini, MacMurray Estate Vineyards, Bridlewood, Mirassou Vineyards, Frei Brothers Reserve, William Hill Estate, Edna Valley Vineyard, Columbia Winery, Martín Códax, Brancaia, LaMarca and Ecco Domani. The Winery is also expanding its portfolio with distilled spirits and has recently added New Amsterdam Gin and New Amsterdam Vodka .
Performs sales and servicing calls on existing and perspective retail accounts within an assigned geographical territory. Responsible for providing consultative business advice to key and peripheral accounts in order to increase sales and distribution. This position upholds Gallo’s guidelines, standards and policies.
- Reports directly to the Retail Sales Manager.
- This position does not have direct reports.
- Develops positive, consultative relationships with Retail Customer’s Accounts throughout a specified territory.
- Conducts sales training for any retail customer’s staff member, selling, and handling or in any way distributing Gallo products, to include wine education.
- Demonstrates basic wine knowledge.
- Promotes positive working relationships across the organization.
- Executes special events and consumer tastings with the support of the sales and marketing teams including community charity events, in-store tastings and live radio remotes.
- Controls personal business expenses (meals, transportation, and lodging).
- Increases product shelf and fridge distribution points, launches new brands into market, maintains product inventory, properly services accounts, rotates product, and constructs and maintains appropriate and attractive product displays.
- Communicates orally in an effective and persuasive manner with proprietors and all personnel of a higher diverse base of customers and potential customers.
- Reads and analyzes written instructions and materials, and plans sales efforts.
- Completes administrative responsibilities according to deadlines and Gallo standards.
- Must maintain satisfactory attendance, to include timeliness.
- Responsible for understanding and complying with applicable quality, environmental and safety regulatory considerations. If accountable for the work of others, responsible for ensuring their understanding and compliance.
- This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or GED.
- Bachelor’s degree or 1 year of sales experience reflecting increasing levels of responsibility.
- Experience working for a Multi-National Corporation.
- Valid driver license and clean driving record.
- Required to lift cases of wine up to 50 lbs.
- Required to travel by car or plane.
- Required to discern color, taste and smell of wine as part of wine tasting duties.
- Must be at least 19 years of age.
- Available to work flexible hours and schedules including weekends and holidays.
- Experience working with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook preferred.
- Skilled in reading and interpreting documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Strong written and oral communication skills including presentation skills.
- Skilled in calculating figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, circumference and volume.
- Skilled in maintaining composure, multi-tasking effectively, and handling normal job stress without close supervision while remaining courteous and professional.
- Experience with learning and utilizing specialized software (e.g. SMIZ Data, FMM).
- Experience with working independently and as part of a team.
E&J Gallo Winery is committed to providing Accessible Customer Service to people of all abilities while ensuring we respect the dignity and independence of each person.