Want to be part of a team that makes a difference? Come be part of the change.
Since 1920, APEGA has been regulating the practices of engineering and geoscience to serve the public interest in Alberta.
We are looking for energetic individuals who thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, and challenging environment. You need to be committed to serving the community with integrity, accountability, and innovation, and have a desire to deliver exceptional service. If you reflect these values, have the knowledge, skills, and abilities to make a difference through your work, and are passionate about acting in the best interest of public safety – then come be a part of our diverse team!
Together we can help shape the present and future practices of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta.
Reporting to the Deputy Director of Communications, the Communications Assistant (Student Opportunity) will provide support to our Communications Department, including being actively involved in the research, writing, and fact-checking for publications, postings, and distribution of a variety of communication pieces.
- Work with communications practitioners to research, write, fact-check, and provide administrative support for online and print content
- Assist the Communications Department in updating internal documentation
- Contribute to the research for the development of a member readership survey to better understand membership needs for content, platform, and/or distribution
- Actively participate in Communication Department meetings, providing recommendations for improvements to its services and identify opportunities for improving efficiency and workflows
- Work on ad hoc requests, as assigned
Skills & Attributes
- Awareness of self-regulating professions and regulator environments
- Strong knowledge of communications and public relations best practices and code of ethics
- Knowledge of confidentiality protocols and privacy requirements
- Awareness of popular social media platforms, including LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube
- Advanced applied writing skills, with a high attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to self-edit print and digital copy to an error-free standard
- Proven ability to work with diverse groups of people in a team-oriented and collaborative environment, while being able to work effectively independently
- Proficiency in computer skills including, but not limited to, the knowledge and use of:
- Microsoft Office, such as Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Internet browsers
- Shows a strong commitment and focus to delivering exceptional and professional customer service
- Organization and time management skills are necessary to be able to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Demonstrated professionalism in demeanour and appearance
- Enrolled in a relevant undergraduate program (i.e., Communications, Journalism, or Public Relations) from a reputable institution
- Please note, this is a Summer Temporary Employment Program (STEP) opportunity. As such, this opportunity is only available to those who reside and attend school in Alberta and will be returning to full-time post-secondary education no later than November 1, 2018
- Previous experience in writing and editing would be considered an asset
Closing Date: Until successful candidate is found
If you are interested in this position, please submit your cover letter and resume as one pdf document (file name: LastName_FirstName.pdf) to Human Resources at HR@apega.ca.
Please note, each submission needs to clearly indicate the competition number of the position you are applying for. If you are submitting a resume for multiple positions, please ensure you send a separate submission for each competition.
Thank you for your interest in APEGA. Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.