The Royal Conservatory is one of the largest and most respected music education. Institutions in the world, providing the definitive standard of excellence in curriculum design, assessment, performance training, teacher certification and arts-based social programs.
The mission of The Royal Conservatory, to develop human potential through leadership in music and the arts, is based on the conviction that the arts are humanity's greatest means to achieve personal growth and social cohesion. The curriculum for the study of music developed by The Conservatory has become Canada's national standard and its broad use has served to bind together the people of the nation with the thread of shared creative experiences.
What is the opportunity?
The Royal Conservatory has articulated a new vision for the digital engagement. Our plan is to make the very best tools and resources in music learning and professional development readily available in the kinds of digital formats that today’s youth and adults find most engaging. Your key role is to design inspiring, engaging, and informative learning experiences for a variety of programs, platforms, user-groups, and demographics.
What will you do?
This is an opportunity to help build and establish the RCM as the national and international provider of digital music pedagogy. As the Instructional Designer (ID), you will identify instructional strategies and content approaches for the instruction of music and music teachers. A creative thinker and solution-finder, you understand and appreciate the opportunity and complexities associated with digital music study and are stimulated by the challenge. Courses will be delivered through a variety of digital means including a Learning Management Platform and Apps and will require the ID to develop and recommend creative and engaging ways of presenting content to enable student success.
Your skills cover all areas of Instructional Design including but not limited to:
- Identifying, articulating, and implementing instructional strategies appropriate to the content, audience, and mode of delivery
- Project management of multiple projects at the same time
- Employing formal instructional design methods and techniques
We are responsible for educating, illuminating, and inspiring music-learners of all ages and we’re passionate about being the best! You will contribute to this by:
- Developing detailed course plans, storyboards and wireframes with well-articulated delivery strategies
- Conducting environmental scans to identify best practices, development, and engagement opportunities
- Leveraging your knowledge of LMS capabilities and mobile technologies to recommend development and customization strategies that yield rich, meaningful and dynamic experiences and are appropriate for music and arts students.
- Ensuring the development of effective assessment instruments that will provide learners with specific and descriptive feedback
- Where necessary, writing instructional text, transitions, learning objectives and other elements
- Recommending and contributing to the development of original assets that will enhance and support the learning experience
- Creating supporting materials such as marking guides, media, rubrics, etc. for each course, resource or project
- Ensuring that courses are completed and delivered by the established deadlines
- Supporting and collaborating with team members; taking on other tasks as required
What do you need to succeed?
- Attention to detail that ensuring the best learner experience possible
- The ability to work quickly and effectively in a small team with tight deadlines
- Ability to read music and play a musical instrument
- 3-5 years of experience in instructional design
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Distance Education or Instructional Design, or equivalent experience
- Experience with Learning Management Systems, usability standards, and quality assurance processes
- An experienced and creative problem solver
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with competing deadlines
- Excellent communication skills
- Committed to constantly evolving your strategic and creative skills
- Strong organizational skills
- A sense of humour, passion for what you do, and a team player.
RCM is committed to a policy of equity and inclusion.
In accordance with Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and RCM’s Access and Equity policy, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter and current résumé online (please upload a single file combining both documents) at www.rcmusic.com/about-us/careers-royal-conservatory by Sunday, April 15, 2018. We thank all applicants and will contact only those selected for an interview; please note this position may be filled prior to the application deadline if a suitable candidate has been identified.