Join our professional team of Registered Nurses as we work together to deliver compassionate care that is responsive to the healthcare needs of our community.
Humber River Hospital is committed to revolutionizing patient care for our diverse community. We're looking for exceptional individuals to join our great team: people who share our passion to deliver compassionate, professional, respectful care. The Hospital is formally affiliated with both the University of Toronto and Queen's University.
Right now we're looking for a Full-Time Registered Nurse to work on our Mental Health Consultation Liaison Team.
Are you a compassionate RN who is focused on delivering high-quality, safe-care? If yes, we invite you to read the details below then apply.
Reporting Relationship: Manager of Mental Health
Hourly Rate Range: $32.21 - $46.11
Schedule Requirements: Day shift Monday to Friday, some evenings may be required (subject to change)
Location: Wilson Site - Must be willing to work on all Mental Health Units
Employee Group: ONA
- Completes psychiatric/addictions nursing assessment of patients
- Provides health teaching to patients, family members and frontline staff concerning medication, illness, symptom management, and recovery using a biopsychosocial framework.
- Establishes therapeutic alliances with the patients and their families.
- Recommends the implementation of interventions based on assessment, patient and family input and in conjunction with the treatment team using a patient and family centered approach to care.
- Ensures coordinated delivery of care through ongoing communication with all members of the treatment team including a variety of internal as well as community providers.
- Documents all assessment findings, treatment, transfer and discharge plans as required
- Interacts with all members of the interdisciplinary team individually as well as in team meetings to report on assessment findings and progress updates.
- Provides coverage to other areas of the Outpatient Mental Health program as needed.
- Assists with application of behavior management strategies under the guidance of the psychiatrist on the Consultation Liaison team.
- Uses a variety of interventions to manage responsive behaviors of patients such as, confusion, delirium, dementia, aggression, agitation etc.
- Administers a variety of assessment scales in collaboration with the treatment team to record patient symptoms and/or behavior. For example, BPRS, CIWA, MoCA, MMSE, AIMS, Cornell Scale for Depression in Dementia etc. dependent on area of clinical involvement.
- Other related duties as required.
- Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Current BCLS/CPR certification required.
- BScN preferred.
- Certification in Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing required, or willingness to obtain within one year of hire.
- 2 years of recent mental health/addictions experience is required.
- Demonstrated ability to provide individual/group health teaching for patients and staff.
- Excellent assessment skills, including demonstrated knowledge of crisis intervention skills.
- Demonstrates awareness and understanding in working with individuals from different cultures.
- Experience with specific individual/group therapy skills (e.g. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Solution Focused Therapy) is an asset
- Demonstrated ability to work with complex and difficult team, patient and family situations
- Demonstrates an excellent understanding re: the etiology of mental health/addiction illnesses.
- Excellent knowledge of the Mental Health Act.
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and problem solving skills, with an ability to set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Must be able to work effectively, both individually and within a group setting, in a fast paced environment.
- Demonstrates initiative and creativity in the workplace.
- A positive attendance record.
Why Humber? Why Now?
Humber River Hospital is on an exciting transformation journey of redefining patient care as we leverage the most advanced technologies to enhance all aspects of delivering high-quality, safe care. We continue to build a people-centered workplace with excellent staff and physician engagement by hiring passionate, diverse and inclusive healthcare professionals. People who care and live our values of Compassion, Professionalism and Respect. People who are committed to making a positive difference.
We are a Studer Group hospital, focused on building our evidence-based practice and hardwiring a culture that WOWs.
Why? Because at Humber River Hospital, we know it's our people and our ability to innovate that allows us to consistently deliver a great patient experience and the best quality outcomes. After all, we are the hospital that believes exceptional care...healthier community.
This description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by the employee within this position. However, the actual responsibilities, duties, qualifications and experience may vary. Employee may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. Information contained in this job posting/description is subject to change.
This position will be filled in accordance to the Ontario Nurses Association (ONA) collective agreement.
Interested applicants are required to apply online by the closing date. Incomplete or contain incorrect information may not be considered. We thank all candidates that apply but only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Upon individual request, hiring processes may be modified to remove barriers to accommodate those with disabilities. Should any applicant require accommodation through the application, interview or selection processes, please contact the Human Resources Department for assistance.
Let us know what we can do to help you be successful during your recruitment experience at Humber River Hospital