Summer Student, Enforcement
The Alberta Securities Commission is the industry-funded regulator responsible for administering the province's securities laws. It is entrusted with fostering a fair and efficient capital market in Alberta and with protecting investors. As a member of the Canadian Securities Administrators, the ASC works to improve, coordinate and harmonize the regulation of Canada's capital markets.
The Enforcement division enforces Alberta securities laws by investigating and prosecuting breaches of those laws with an eye for preventing and stopping current and future misconduct.
The Assessment department is the first point of contact for Enforcement. Team members receive, intake and assess complaints and inquiries regarding the Alberta capital markets. Employees also provide assistance to outside agencies including other securities regulators and law enforcement agencies.
The Summer Enforcement Student will assist the Assessment department with responding to, recording and assessing public complaints and inquiries, as well as assisting ASC employees on Enforcement files.
Key responsibilities include:
- Answering calls and emails from the public and partner agencies on a timely basis.
- Providing an appropriate response to inquiries or complaints and elevating certain matters to senior staff.
- Creating a detailed record of the interaction.
- Creating spreadsheets and categorizing incoming complaints and inquiries.
- Other duties as required.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be enrolled in a criminology, finance or business program at a recognized post-secondary institution.
- Have an interest in securities regulation and investor protection.
- Have experience in dealing with the public in an empathetic manner.
- Be detail-oriented, with excellent interpersonal skills and a customer-focused attitude.
- Have general work experience in an environment where professionalism, confidentiality, problem solving and flexibility are required.
- Demonstrate strong research and writing skills.
- Have proven intermediate computer skills (Excel, Word, etc.).
Visit our website to submit your resume, cover letter and salary expectations by March 29, 2018. More information about working at the ASC including our comprehensive Total Rewards package can be found on our website at www.albertasecurities.com.
Online applications will receive an automated confirmation. You will be contacted if you are selected for an interview.