Hours of Work:
Time of Day:
Days, Evenings, Weekends, Holidays
4hr, 6hr, 7.5hr
The Food Service Helper prepares, decants and portions food, delivers and serves meals independently in dining room utilizing dietary guidelines/restrictions. Operates machines such as ovens, ware washing equipment and puts inventory away in designated areas. Maintains all work areas in a safe and sanitary condition.
- Grade 12 education or equivalent
- Minimum 2 years' experience working in hospital food services or institutional food service operations, would be an asset
- Food Handler Certificate preferred
- Ability to speak, read and write English and be capable of following oral and written instructions thoroughly
- Ability to perform the following physical demands: extended periods of time standing and walking; requirements for bending, forward reaching predominantly between waist and shoulder, lifting, pushing/pulling carts throughout the department and hospital
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and frequent interruptions
- Ability to work independently, within designated time frames, and as part of a team
- Ability to maintain a friendly disposition with patients
- Neat appearance, good attendance, punctual and work record are essential
- Ability to work in very cold (walk in freezer), cold (walk in refrigerator) and warm environment.
- Must wear safety shoes
HOURS OF WORK:
- Setting up the dining areas, preparing, heating and serving meals to patients (in compliance with the diet order)
- Maintaining work area/equipment and procedures to meet sanitation and safety standards
- Retrieving soiled dishes, etc. from dining areas for ware washing and disposal
- Following HACCP principles of food handling
- Operating and maintaining ware washing equipment; using cleaning/sanitizing chemicals
- Preparing/decanting/assembling food and special dietetic items
- Completing inventory sheets for the clinical and production areas
- Tempering and distribution of food items
- Ordering supplies for clinical and production areas
- Putting supplies/inventory away in designated areas in the department
- Reports directly to Food Services Supervisors
- Performs all other related duties as assigned by the supervisor
Rotating shifts - days, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
$23.13...$24.13...$25.12 (plus 14% in lieu of benefits)
Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.