Senior Business Advisor
Finance -Planning & Analysis
ABOUT JOSEPH BRANT HOSPITAL:
Joseph Brant Hospital (JBH) is a full service community teaching hospital serving the communities of Halton and Hamilton, including Burlington, Waterdown, Flamborough, Milton and Stoney Creek, with a skilled staff of 175 physicians, 1,500 full-and part-time staff and more than 600 volunteers. In conjunction with McMaster University, JBH is a Clinical Education Campus, and designated as an Academic Community Teaching Hospital.
As part of a $450M redevelopment project, JBH recently opened its new seven storey state-of-art Michael Lee-Chin & Family Patient Tower which features a new Emergency Department; 172 acute inpatient beds; 9 new Operating Rooms and a new post-anesthetic care unit; an expanded Diagnostic Imaging Department; expanded medical, surgical and outpatient services; expanded Cancer Clinic; expanded Intensive Care Unit; renovated Special Care Nursery, level 2 Neonatal Intensive Care Unit; an expanded and modernized laboratory; and 70 per cent single-patient rooms. As JBH continues this journey, there are several other planned milestones that will continue through 2018 and include additional renovations and upgrades.
Reporting to the Manager of Finance, the Finance Senior Business Advisor will support select Hospital program areas on all their financial management responsibilities. The successful candidate is a self-starter who seeks to understand all aspects of the current Hospital financial and statistical reporting. The Finance Senior Business Advisor will coordinate with internal and external stakeholders and report on key departmental projects and corporate initiatives as required.
- The preparation of operating budgets in collaboration with program leadership, incorporating:
- Peer Hospital benchmarking activities
- Volume & Activity Analysis, Forecasting based on Demographics and Business Development
- Review of actual versus expected costs align expenditures to funded performance, while maximizing quality service delivery to the community served
- Periodic (monthly, quarterly and annual) performance analysis, which includes:
- Detailed analysis of revenues by funding type and performance against targets
- Expenditures analysis identifying causes for variation from expected
- Labour cost analysis to budget and funded rates
- Capital expenditures
- Assist with Program Development, analysis for potential new services, market opportunity, and Case Costing
- Identify process improvements to maximize revenue generating opportunities;
- Identify performance issues, undertaking a root-cause analysis and developing remedial actions with target dates;
- Internal and external (i.e. MOHLTC/LHIN, other agencies) program reporting in accordance with established guidelines;
- Ensure activities are in compliance with internal Hospital policies, MIS guidelines and International Financial Reporting Standard;
- Management and co-ordination of projects involving the Hospital and external stakeholders including but not limited to, assistance with analysis of various requests for proposals, costing initiatives, business case development, etc.
- Demonstrable business analysis skills in supporting business decisions by developing reports that enable better business decisions and ensuring business data and reporting needs are satisfied;
- Ad hoc assignments are required.
- Undergraduate degree in Finance or related discipline required;
- CPA designation required;
- Masters of Business Administration Degree an asset;
- Two (2) to four (4) years of similar financial analysis experience or comparable experience, required with proven strong financial planning, analytical, and problem solving skills
- Experience using costing systems, budgeting, forecasting, preferably in a hospital or service industry an asset;
- Proficiency at an advanced level in Microsoft office suite (Excel, Word and Access);
- Health System Funding Reform (HSFR) - HBAM/QBP knowledge would be an asset;
- Knowledge of Ontario Health Reporting Standards (OHRS)/MIS Guidelines certificate preferred;
- Strong oral and written communication, interpersonal/collaboration, and relationship building skills;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, manage own time and take initiative;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple and competing projects effectively.
- Satisfactory attendance record.
To be considered for this exciting opportunity please visit the JBH Careers page to apply to posting #201486. We ask that you please include the posting number in the subject line of any email correspondence. No phone calls please. We thank all applicants and only those selected for interview will be contacted.
Any information obtained during the recruitment process will be used for employment recruitment only, and not for any other purpose.
JBH is committed to and supports practices that are inclusive. HR will accommodate any needs under the Ontario Human Right Code (OHRC) and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Recruitment processes will be modified to remove barriers to accommodate those with disabilities, if requested.
Should you require accommodation through the application and/or recruitment process, please contact HR for assistance at email@example.com or at Ext. 4129 to allow opportunity for appropriate accommodations to be made.