Are you a Structural Engineer interested in helping to creatively solve the problems that our clients pose? Does a variety of work such as sustainable builds, heritage sites and heavy timber excite you? How about living in one of the most beautiful parts of the country and a great work/life integration? If any of this enticed you, we want to hear from you!
A Little About Us:
We are engineers, technologists, planners, landscape architects, scientists, and their support teams: that work together to deliver infrastructure, minimizing environmental impact and maximizing benefit to the community. We work hard and play hard because that is what #ISLLIFE is all about! Check us out on Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
ISL’s Building’s Team:
works to deliver excellence for our clients, both internal and external. Committed to finding, mentoring, and growing the right individual, our team approach is integral to our success:
A Little About You :Your cover letter must demonstrate::
- Flexible: – we are a results-oriented team. As a high functioning, remotely enabled group, we are not your typical 9-5; we allow for flexibility in how and where work gets done.
- Interesting work: – Although we specialize in heavy timber, we have a variety of projects including heritage buildings in national historic sites, high performing and sustainable buildings, and recreation structures (pedestrian bridges, sky walks, and playgrounds)
- Entrepreneurial :– :we are a group of passionate individuals who work independently and as part of a team. We take initiative, run with ideas and collectively share in project success.
- Location: – some of the most breath-taking scenery and active lifestyle that the Yukon has to offer.
Your resume should show us::
- Your approach to creative problem solving and decision making
Bonus points for::
- Registration as a P.Eng. or experienced E.I.T.
- Proficiency with structural analysis software (e.g., Risa, RFEM, WoodWorks Sizer)
- Working knowledge of structural design
- Proficiency in and application of structural theory, the National Building Code of Canada (NBC 2015), and Canadian Design Standards (O86, S16, A23.3)
- Working knowledge of Bluebeam, Microsoft Word, and Excel
- Construction field experience
A Little More About the Role:Responsibilities:
- Proficiency with 3D modeling software such as Revit or CADwork
- Experience with prefabrication of mass timber or light-frame structures and preparation of shop drawings for suppliers
- Experience with or interest in developing skills in heavy and mass timber design
- Understanding of cold climate design considerations and seismic design
Your projects will primarily be located in the Yukon, but you will have the opportunity to work on multidisciplinary projects across all ISL offices.
- Prepare detailed structural engineering designs from concept, through tender to construction for a wide variety of projects including commercial, recreational, municipal, industrial, and residential buildings, in various structural materials (mass timber, light-frame wood, concrete, and steel).
- Assemble and review structural deliverables in collaboration with other team members
- Review and coordinate deliverables with other project team members including architectural, civil, landscape, process, mechanical, electrical, contractors and suppliers as each project requires
- Assume responsibility for structural design as Engineer of Record
- Actively coach, guide and mentor developing team members
- Participate in project meetings
- Complete assessments and prepare reports for various buildings and structures
- Support construction administration objectives and perform field reviews, including travel to remote locations
- Perform peer reviews and design checks of work prepared by others
- Observe and maintain quality assurance practices and documentation standards on all projects
- Actively participate in continuous improvement initiatives
- Assist in the preparation of proposals in response to requests for our services
- Be a lifelong learner, stay current on industry trends and emerging technologies
- Collaborate with, advise, and assist team members in other groups and offices
- Other related duties as assigned
- Creating and/or leveraging custom spreadsheets
We are engineers, technologists, planners, landscape architects, scientists:, and their support teams that work together to deliver infrastructure, minimizing environmental impact and maximizing benefit to the community.
- We work on fascinating projects right in our community. :
- We are nimble:. We integrate the right team to solve our clients' biggest challenges.
- We are social:. Follow our hashtag #isllife on Twitter and Instagram or check out our YouTube Channel.
- We get together:. Every year, Staff Development Seminar brings together ISLers from all over western Canada to learn, share and connect.
- We are independent problem solvers.: Employee owned and operated, we like to work hard with minimum bureaucracy.
- We encourage and reward high performance. :Employer paid benefits plan, Group RRSP, and competitive salaries with opportunities for annual bonus. :
Want to find out more about this or other ISL career opportunities?:
Visit us online at www.islengineering.com/about/join-the-team: