At Kal-Polymers we custom compound recycled plastic into raw materials. For over 28 years, our customers have enjoyed quality consistent raw material at a cost-savings, all while helping to create a more sustainable world. At Kal-Polymers, we work with our customers and suppliers to plan and implement their plastic waste disposal programs as well as their raw material requirements. We have buy back contracts with large volume plastic scrap generators, and we convert that scrap into custom compounded resins suitable for varied applications. We are proud to be part of the movement that encourages reuse and recycling thereby creating a better tomorrow.
Industry: Wholesale Sector / Industrial Products
Company Size: 50-200 employees
Headquarters: Mississauga, ON
Other Location: Georgia, US
Job Duties and Responsibilities*
To ensure quality in all materials that enter and exit the building (shipping/receiving, grinders, extruders)
- To consistently use the existing machinery (melt indexer, IZOD, density, Injection molding machinery, etc)
- Able to learn and use newer machinery that will be purchased to continue developing the lab capabilities.
- Extensive understanding of polymers/plastics
- Able to identify the different polymers based on a number of properties.
- Responsible for organization of samples and the sample room.
- Corresponding with the sales team and plant in regards to samples for testing and quality control.
- Report to Lab Manager test result before submitting to Data entry.
- Testing samples provided to Lab from Plant
- Melt flow rate
- PET bake test
- Inj. Molding
- Blow film machine
- Filler test
- Density test
- IZOD test
- Tensile and Flex test
Train and manage Coop students
- Audit tests from all shifts
- Understand and burn test
- Build polymer identification library
- Training for polymers and contamination
Submit paper works before submitting to Data Entry.
- Identify and analyze materials from Production, Sales and Receiving
- Perform routine tests according to standard procedures on all samples coming into the lab from Production, Sales, and Receiving departments
- Calculate test results, and log them into the company ERP system
- Perform quality control checks on each sample
- Report any non-conformance to the respective department, and update it in the ERP
- Maintain lab instruments in proper working order, and calibrate instruments when due
- Keep inventory of all the samples coming in to the lab and store them at the lab inventory
- Maintain daily reports of all the samples being tested and coming in to the lab
- Practice safe work habits and always maintain a clean lab
Skills and Qualifications
- BS or Degree equivalent in a science related discipline.
- Experience in laboratory testing.
- Knowledge of Statistical Quality Improvement methods ideally Six Sigma Green Belt Certification.
- Experience using problem resolution tools
- Strong knowledge of laboratory test methods specifically related to polymer compounding e. g. MFI, Volatile Content, SG.
- Experience of analytical test methods would be a distinct advantage e. g. TGA, DSC, FTIR.
- Strong computer and analytical skills; attention to details
- Strong communication and time management skills.
- Knowledge of polymer compounding a plus.
- Ability to work with formal documentation such as ISO / EN test methods and translate into local test procedures.
- Proven continuous improvement & problem-solving experience.
Job Type: Full-time
Work Location: Multiple Locations